From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Early morning “Praise Dance” classes help church plant gospel seeds

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:35:34 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3046 Edition

>July 12~July 18, 2010

Early morning “Praise Dance” classes help church plant  gospel seeds

>Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

>Written by Lydia Ma

Beginning July 1, 2010, Dong-Ning Presbyterian Church in Tainan  will open a
Praise Dance

class at a small park on Youth Road in eastern Tainan City. The  class will be
the third of its

kind that the church has started in recent years.

The church is calling on Christians who live nearby to invite  friends and
relatives to join this

program so that more people can get some exercise every morning.  Praise Dance
Ministry is

sponsored by the church’s women’s fellowship and classes  are taught by a
retired teacher.

This ministry first began in Dong-Ning Park more than 3 years ago.  But the
church began

offering extra classes at a park near Tainan Municipal Stadium in  April of
this year. Now, it has

begun offering lessons at a third location – a park adjacent to  Taiwan Church
Press on Youth Road.

In the past 3 years, each class has attracted more than 10  students, and there
are currently

over 40 regular students from all locations combined. More than  half of these
students are

>non-Christians who have never gone to church.

According to Cheng Ming-min, wife of Dong-Ning Church pastor, Rev.  Lin
Jui-lung, Praise

Dance Ministry is one of the strategies the church has been using  to share the
gospel. The

program’s purpose is to loosen the “soil” of  people’s hearts and prepare it
for “gospel seeds”.

Though most students in Praise Dance classes aren’t  Christians and likely
won’t darken a

church door, they continue to attend classes on a regular basis.  “We can’t be
impatient. For

now, we only hope that they’ll join us in shouting out  “hallelujah!” during
class or prayer,” said Cheng.

She added that students are slowly reaching out to one another and  some
non-Christians will

even accept prayers of blessing over their families once they  understand what
prayer is about.

Each class usually requires one teacher, one administrative staff,  and one
usher to welcome

people to join the class, Cheng said. “Oftentimes, we find  people standing on
the sidelines

watching us. Because southern Taiwanese people are usually shyer,  someone
needs to be

there to approach them and invite them to join in,” she  explained.

The new class on Youth Road has so far attracted about 17 people,  half of them
non-

Christians. The church hopes to use these classes and music  concerts to get to
know more

people in the community and share the gospel with them.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)