From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - Faith Practices, a comprehensive educational tool for churches, now available

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:19:47 -0700

Faith Practices, a comprehensive educational tool for churches, now  available

Written by Jeff Woodard
July 20, 2010

Using distinctive practices of faith ? such as
"Keeping Sabbath" or "Playing and Living Joyfully" ? with more than 600
activities in each to spark meaningful conversations, the UCC on July 15 rolled out Faith
Practices, a comprehensive set of online resources designed to revolutionize the way congregations
equip their members to talk about faith.

"It is accessible, easy-to-use content that appeals to volunteer and professional educators
alike," says the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, the UCC's director of publishing, identity and
communication. "It engages scripture, but enters that conversation by examining a topic in
depth."

Topics-based conversation resonates well with UCC people, says Guess, because UCC members tend to
embrace life experiences as windows to seeing God at work. "Faith Practices encourages us,
literally, to 'practice our faith' by taking a particular topic, such as 'giving and receiving
hospitality,' and looking at it from every angle," says Guess. "It's designed to help us
practice and discuss our faith in daily life."

Citing changing times in the church, such a practical approach will "help us find a
way to ensure that faith is growing in people's lives," says the Rev. R. Kenneth
Ostermiller, project coordinator of Faith Practices and minister for curriculum
development on the UCC's Congregational Vitality and Discipleship Ministry Team.

"When we thought this up, we had no idea that there would be this kind of interest, it's
really taken on a life of its own." Sixteen UCC churches, the Minnesota Conference, the
Massachusetts Conference and Defiance (Ohio) College have signed on as development partners for
Faith Practices. "I am humbled, and I am amazed. But with these concrete ways to practice, we
can come to a better sense of spiritual discipline."

Faith Practices' non-linear, activities-based approach can be used with a wide
variety of age groups or church settings. Each practice was designed by a team
of UCC writers from various churches across the country.

The first two practices ? "Giving and Receiving Hospitality" and "Keeping
Sabbath" ? were ready for download on July 15.  Two more practices
"Living Stewardship" and "Playing and Living Joyfully" will be available by the
end of August.

"These first four practices alone represent nearly 2,500 activities that can be utilized in
our churches, with all age groups and different settings in mind," Guess says. "And four
additional practices will be rolled out next year, with more to come after that."

"Faith Practices is a living curriculum that undergirds the best intent of the 'God is Still Speaking' movement in the UCC," says Guess, "because Faith Practices is designed to help us practice and discuss our faith in daily life. It gives us the tools and activities to become a voice for our Stillspeaking God."

Churches can also purchase the entire set of Faith Practices, or a select group
of material best suited to their needs. Content may be downloaded at any time,
and multiple members of a congregation can share one log-in and password.

For the Rev. Lori Keller Schroeder, a UCC minister serving as pastor of First
Presbyterian Church in St. Anne, Ill., and a Faith Practices writer, the new resource
offers a unique approach. "Faith Practices recognizes that many people don't believe
and then act, but act their way into belief."

Congregations purchasing a subscription with a single purpose in mind ? such as using it for
their church school curriculum ? might be pleasantly surprised, according to Aimee Jannsohn,
sales and marketing associate for Pilgrim Press, the UCC's publishing arm. "They will be
delighted to discover the multitude of ways it will add to the life of their
congregation," says Jannsohn. "This additional value makes it that much more
appealing, and reinforces their decision to make Faith Practices a part of their
congregational life.

Says Guess, "In the end, our hope is that Faith Practices will help us become better
Christians and have a broader understanding of how we can live and practice our faith in
all that we do. Faith Practices are all around us ? if only we give ourselves permission
to experience them."

Although unpublicized in its first week after the launch, Faith Practices sales
have already exceeded $6,000.

Please visit the Faith Practices site for further details and ordering
information.