From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pastor produces a hymn for biblical refugees

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:52:37 -0400

>Engaging the immigrant experience in worship;
>Pastor produces a hymn to biblical refugees

>See: www.ncccusa.org/news/100721gillette/html

Wilmington, Del., July 21, 2010 -- Hymn writer Carolyn Winfrey Gillette  of
Wilmington, Del., has produced a new text dealing with immigration,  now on the
webpage of the National Council of Churches for free use by  congregations.
(See:  www.ncccusa.org/immigration/AbrahamJourneyedHymn.html)

"Abraham Journeyed to a New Country" is set to the familiar Gaelic tune  of
"Morning Has Broken." Examples of biblical immigrants like Abraham  and Sarah,
Ruth, and Jesus are featured in the five-stanza text, among  the resources
offered by the NCC/CWS Immigration Task Force.

In her introduction to the hymn, Gillette writes: "Jesus himself was a  refugee
in Egypt when his parents had to flee from Herod for his safety.  Jesus taught
that one of the greatest commandments is to love our  neighbors; these
neighbors include foreigners (Luke 10:25-37 with  references to Leviticus
19:18, 33-34).
"He also taught that all people will be judged on their compassion for  those
in need and their welcome of strangers (Matthew 25:31-46).   Today, people are
immigrants for many of the same reasons that these  biblical people were.  The
Church is called to follow the Bible's  teachings by welcoming and supporting
immigrants today."

Gillette, who with her husband, Bruce, is co-pastor of Limestone  Presbyterian
Church in Wilmington, is no stranger to members of the  National Council of
Churches and Church World Service communities. She  is also written lyrics to
hymns reflecting on the church's response to  the earthquake in Haiti, war, and
Christian responsibility in  government, among other issues.

She is currently writing lyrics for a hymn that will be presented at the
Centennial Gathering of the National Council of Churches and Church  World
Service in New Orleans November 9-11.

"We immediately recognized how valuable the hymn is for all the  congregations
related to the 36 member communions of the National  Council of Churches," said
Wesley M. "Pat" Pattillo, NCC associate  general secretary, Communication and
Justice & Advocacy.

"The issues that cry out for hospitality and immigration reform could  not be
more biblical. Yet for many of us they don't seem relevant to our  Sunday
morning church experiences. Carolyn's hymn shows how relevant --  and how
urgent -- those issues are for all persons of faith." (See
www.ncccusa.org/immigration)

Church World Service has more than twenty of Carolyn's hymns related to
hunger, poverty, justice and peace.

Carolyn's latest book, Songs of Grace: New Hymns for God and Neighbor,  was
published by Discipleship Resources/Upper Room Books in 2009. This  collection
of 77 new hymns to well-known tunes celebrates biblical  stories, the church
year, and a wide range of church activities, from  older adult ministries and
stewardship to social justice and many other  topics in between. Accompanying
each new hymn is a meditation that can  be used for personal, family or group
devotions.

Carolyn's first book, Gifts of Love: New Hymns for Today's Worship, is a
collection of forty-five of her hymns. Her hymns are also in the new
supplements for the Episcopal, Presbyterian and United Church of Canada
hymnals. Circuit Rider, The Christian Century, The Presbyterian Outlook,
Presbyterians Today, Horizons, Ideas! For Church Leaders, Church &  Society,
and other magazines have published her hymns.

Two of her anthems are published by the Choristers Guild. For additional
information, see http://www.carolynshymns.com.

Bruce Gillette was the Presbyterian representative on the Executive  Committee
for the Consultation on Church Union (COCU) that created  Churches Uniting in
Christ (CUIC). He is the co-author of A New Creation  In Christ: A Study Guide
for Churches Uniting in Christ.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of  Christ in
the USA has been the leading force for ecumenical cooperation  among Christians
in the United States. The NCC's 36 member faith groups  -- from a wide spectrum
of Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical,  historic African American and
Living Peace churches -- include 45  million persons in more than 100,000 local
congregations in communities  across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),  646-853-4212
(cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org