From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] ARIZONA: Trinity Cathedral to host July 29 prayer vigil as part of immigration law protest / E

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:06:48 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - ARIZONA: Trinity Cathedral to host July 29 prayer
vigil as part of immigration law protest
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - EAU CLAIRE: Episcopal, Lutheran congregations team
up for community fundraiser
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTHWEST FLORIDA: Capital Campaign helps Boca
Grande parish to thrive
* WORLD REPORT - GERMANY: Forgiveness a 'radical' way of sharing,
Williams tells Lutherans
* MISSION - Episcopal Asiamerica gathering includes Filipino
convocation, school reunion
* PEOPLE - Desmond Tutu to retire from public life
* DAYBOOK - July 23: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Hither and Yon - A Travel Guide
for the Spiritual Journey"

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

ARIZONA: Trinity Cathedral to host July 29 prayer vigil as part of
immigration law protest

Injunction or no injunction, activists say they intend to rally

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Local and national activists are planning an
ecumenical prayer service at Phoenix's Trinity Episcopal Cathedral as
part of a "Day of Non Compliance" on July 29, when Arizona's
controversial immigration law is to go into effect.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123594_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

EAU CLAIRE: Episcopal, Lutheran congregations team up for community  fundraiser

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The combined teamwork of Grace Episcopal and
Bethany Lutheran congregations in Rice Lake, Wisconsin, will help
create a safe place for local homeless residents.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123629_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA: Capital Campaign helps Boca Grande parish to thrive

>By Jim DeLa

[Episcopal News Service] Launching a $3 million capital campaign in
the midst of a recession is not for the faint of heart. But then
again, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Boca Grande, Florida, is a
unique congregation in a unique community.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123595_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

GERMANY: Forgiveness a 'radical' way of sharing, Williams tells  Lutherans

>By Peter Kenny

[Ecumenical News International, Stuttgart, Germany] The act of
forgiveness is one of humanity's most deep-seated acts of people
nourishing one another as human beings, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams has told a global gathering of Lutheran Christians.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123631_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Episcopal Asiamerica gathering includes Filipino convocation, school  reunion

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] About 500 Filipino-Americans met July 16-18
in San Diego for the Episcopal Asiamerica Ministry Filipino
convocation and a reunion of alumni of the three major institutions of
the Episcopal Church in the Philippines.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_123628_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Desmond Tutu to retire from public life

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Human rights activist and Archbishop Emeritus
of Cape Town Desmond Tutu announced July 22 that he will retire from
public life later in the year.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_123630_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 23, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 23, 1978, more than 400 bishops gathered
from all over the Anglican Communion as the 11th Lambeth Conference
began.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Hither and Yon - A Travel Guide for the Spiritual Journey" by Becca
Stevens, paperback, 174 pages, Sept 2007, $12.

[Abingdon Press] Where is God? Can I get there from here? What happens
along the way?

In this book, Becca Stevens is a trusted companion on the greatest
journey of all. Sharing wisdom, laughter, and travel tips, she paints
an unforgettable picture of hither and yon, a mysterious land that is
both the destination and the circuitous path itself as we journey
toward God.

Becca Stevens is a very highly gifted priest, writer, and poet.
Readers will return again and again to this book for insight and
inspiration. -- Joseph C. Hough, Jr., President, Union Theological
Seminary

About the author: Becca Stevens is an Episcopal priest at St.
Augustine's Chapel on the Vanderbilt University campus. She is the
founder of Magdalene, a residential community for women with a
criminal history of prostitution and drug abuse.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.