From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church camp helps teens delve deeper through helping disabled peers

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:33:52 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3047 Edition

>July 19~July 25, 2010

Church camp helps teens delve deeper through helping disabled  peers

>Reported by Chen Wei-chien

>Written by Lydia Ma

How are church summer camps for teens different from other summer  camps? The
answer is

that teens will often gain a deeper understanding of God’s  love and what it
means to love

>others through church camps.

Tainan Presbytery’s Fu-Chiang Church and Happy Christian  Homes co-sponsored
“Life

Encounter Camp for Teens” from July 13~15. High school youths  got to help
disabled children

and learn about the joy of serving others. Children from Happy  Christian Homes
also benefited

from this camp as they mingled with regular youths.

Fu-Chiang Church’s pastor, Rev. Tsai Cheng-tao, brought 36  youths to Happy
Christian

Homes to be trained by social workers and other instructors before  each teen
was assigned

to help one child living in the home. For three days, they pushed  wheelchairs,
spoon-fed

children, assisted during physical therapy sessions, helped during  arts and
crafts lessons, etc.

According to Happy Christian Homes’ Public Relations  Director, Chen Jin-shiou,
the camp

enabled these teens to step out of their comfort zones because  they had to
overcome initial

nervousness and fears and learn to accept one another.  Participants also
learned to

understand the needs and feelings of disabled children through  serving them
for a few days

and the experience turned out to be very fulfilling.

One youth at this camp came away thanking God for his health and  said he was
grateful he

could use his healthy body to serve God. Another youth learned to  appreciate
being able to do

with ease some of the most basic skills humans possess, such as  reading,
writing, and

>speaking.

“I feel God is really awesome. But sometimes it seems God is  unfair to these
children,” said

Su Wen-hsin, another youth at this camp. “Some of these  children were born
with brain

damage and others have speech or physical impairments. They still  have their
whole lives

ahead of them, but they are disadvantaged from the outset. Despite  this, I
also know that God

is very real to these kids and God will help them persevere to the  very end
and not give up.”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)