From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding bishop preaches at St. Paul's Cathedral in London

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:44:52 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>July 25, 2010

Presiding bishop preaches at St. Paul's Cathedral in London

>Standing Committee begins five-day meeting

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service - London, England] Presiding Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori challenged those attending Sung Eucharist at historic
St. Paul's Cathedral here July 25 to be "ready, willing and able" to
speak out and take action against the world's injustices and
indignities.

"Prophetic work is about more abundant life for the whole world, and
it is about a home everywhere, a home for all," she said during her
sermon for the feast of St. James. "Prophetic work is about
challenging human systems that ignore or deny the innate dignity of
all of God's creation ... We lose our dignity when we tolerate indignity
for some ... The work of the cross is the most life-giving journey we
know. Are you ready, willing and able?"

The motto "ready, willing and able," she explained, is used by the Doe
Fund, a New York-based organization that helps to transform the lives
of those affected by homelessness, poverty, poor education, alcoholism
and drug addiction.

There is a human tendency, she said, "to insist that some are not
worthy of respect, that dignity doesn't apply to the poor, or to
immigrants, or to women, or Muslims, or gay and lesbian people."

Jefferts Schori underscored injustices in the Philippines, where
religious and human rights activists frequently are the victims of
political killings.

"The search for dignity is work that all members of Christ's body
share," she added. "We're invited to join the band of prophets, share
the meal and drink the cup. It can be dangerous work, but most
prophets I know are also filled with joy."

The presiding bishop preceded her sermon by offering thanks for the
Rev. Canon Lucy Winkett, canon precentor at the cathedral, whose
ministry, she said, has "had an impact far beyond this place."
Winkett, who enjoyed a career as a professional singer before entering
ordained ministry, is well known in the United Kingdom as a writer and
public speaker on a variety of issues dealing with culture, gender and
music.

Music during the service included Mozart's "Great" Mass in C Minor,
performed by the St. Paul's Cathedral Consort and the City of London
Sinfonia and conducted by Andrew Carwood.

Jefferts Schori is visiting London to attend the July 23-27 meeting of
the Anglican Communion's Standing Committee. While she was preaching
at St. Paul's, other committee members attended Eucharist at
Westminster Abbey.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123658_ENG_HTM.htm