From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Standing Committee members celebrate commitment to transparency; meeting adjourns with renewed

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:13:12 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Standing Committee members celebrate commitment to  transparency
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - EAU CLAIRE: Motorcyclists take to the road to
raise money for Haiti
* MISSION - VTS launches canon law journal
* DAYBOOK - July 28: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Reasonable and Holy - Engaging
Same-Sexuality"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Standing Committee members celebrate new commitment to transparency

Meeting adjourns with renewed focus on mission

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service - London, England] The Standing Committee of
the Anglican Communion adjourned its July 23-27 meeting here with its
members celebrating a renewed focus on mission and greater commitment
to transparency.

"I feel like we've grown closer as a body and we're living more deeply
into our charge to be the trustees for the various offices and
programs of the Anglican Communion," Bishop Ian Douglas of
Connecticut, who serves on the Standing Committee as an elected
representative of the Anglican Consultative Council, the communion's
main policy-making body, told ENS following the meeting.

Douglas said the committee, through the support of the Anglican
Communion Office, "has pursued a course of transparency and open
communication, which I think is vitally important if trust and
understanding across the communion is to be engendered. We cannot
minimize what a significant move that is in the right direction for
our health as a communion."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123722_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

EAU CLAIRE: Motorcyclists take to the road to raise money for Haiti

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] John Meacham and about a dozen motorcyclists
are set to take to the open Wisconsin roads, traveling nearly 800
miles in four days to help benefit residents in Jeannette, a small
mountaintop community in Haiti.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123718_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>VTS launches canon law journal

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Virginia Theological Seminary has launched
the inaugural issue of an online canon law journal.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_123687_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 28, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 28, 1789, William White became the first
presiding bishop.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Reasonable and Holy - Engaging Same-Sexuality" by Tobias Stanislas
Haller, paperback, 192 pages, April 2009, $18.

[Church Publishing] Reasonable and Holy addresses the conflict over
homosexuality within the Anglican tradition, demonstrating that the
church is able to provide for and support faithful and loving
relationships between persons of the same sex, not as a departure from
that tradition, but as a reasonable extension of it.

It offers a carefully argued, but accessible means of engagement with
Scripture, the Jewish and Christian traditions, and the use of reason
in dealing with the experience and lives of fellow-Christians. Unlike
most reflections on the topic of homosexuality, Reasonable and Holy
examines same-sex relationships through the lens of the traditional
teaching on the "ends" or "goods" of marriage: procreation, union, the
upbuilding of society, the symbolic representation of Christ and the
Church, and the now often unmentioned "remedy for fornication."
Throughout, it responds to objections based on reason, tradition and
Scripture.

Based on a series of popular blog posts, it includes a number of
independent, but related resources in the form of side-bars and
single-page expansions of particular themes, suitable for reproduction
as handouts.

Tobias Stanislas Haller is vicar of Saint James Episcopal Church,
Fordham, in New York City.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.