The Declaration of 2010 Conference on Taiwan National Affairs by Presbyterian Church in Taiwan

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:03:17 +0800

Taiwan Church News
3062 Edition

November 1~7, 2010

General Assembly News

The Declaration of 2010 Conference on Taiwan National Affairs

The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan

Taiwan is confronting an unprecedented domestic and international
crisis. China’s expanding military hegemony has resulted in the
deployment of 1,500 missiles aiming at Taiwan and constant
provocation in the Taiwan Strait to fulfill its plan to take over
Taiwan. At the same time, China engages in legal, mass media, and
psychological warfare against Taiwan, plotting conspiracies, with
harmless sounding titles like, “Economic and Trade Exchange” and
“Cross-Strait Talks,” but whose purpose is to deceive the people of
Taiwan. And Ma Ying-jeou’s regime, defying the wishes of Taiwanese
people, has totally tilted toward China, adopting the policy of
“Diplomatic Truce,” halting diplomatic endeavors, and deserting the
sovereignty of Taiwan. In addition, Ma regime has acted like a
conqueror, in the name of improving economy, it has refused the due
process of referendum, and arbitrarily signed the Economic
Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) with China to fabricate “One
China Market” and “Economic Unification,” measures that will
seriously deplete Taiwan’s economic strength, causing social
disorder, escalating unemployment population, widening the disparity
of the rich and the poor, deteriorating the public security and legal
system, and disdaining the implementation of social justice in Taiwan.

Facing the Ma regime’s contravention of the universal values of
democracy and freedom, disrespecting the basic human rights and
historical culture of every tribe in Taiwan, acting in coordination
with China, and causing the crisis we mentioned above, the
Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT), adhering to the belief that the
Church “being rooted in this land and identified with all its
inhabitants, and through love and suffering called to be a sign of
hope,” reaffirms that God’s calling is to deliver human beings from
sin, to grant freedom and equality to the oppressed, that we may all
become new creatures in Christ, that the world will become the
kingdom of God, full of justice, peace and joy. Therefore, we resolve
to hasten democratic freedom in Taiwan and safeguard her sovereignty,
preserve the environment and welfare of the people on this Island.
Our courses of action are as follows:

We pray for the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit that the Church
will pay attention to the situation we are facing, truthfully be
priest and prophet, and faithfully fulfill the responsibility of the
Church in the world.

1) Promoting the mission of God’s kingdom, “Identifying, Committing,
and Growing.”

2) Proclaiming the sovereignty of Taiwan and cultivating our national
identity.

3) Supporting candidates who commit “to do justice, to love mercy, to
advocate for Taiwan and renounce unification.” This guideline applies
to all candidates of the Five Special Municipality Election on
November 27, 2010, the election of the members of Legislative Yuan in
2011, and the Presidential election in 2012.

4) Strengthening the relationship of the PCT with ecumenical church
organizations and other partner churches, and helping Taiwan to
become a member of the United Nations and other international
organizations.

5) Reinforcing community/tribe grass-roots organizations and
encouraging young people to participate in democracy and the movement
of making Taiwan as an independent country.

6) Promoting the modification of the present Referendum Act and set a
reasonable threshold, abolishing the Referendum Review Committee and
supporting a referendum for new Constitution.

We appeal to the government to adopt our course of action to solve
the following issues that are closely related to the future of
Taiwan:

1) Respect and safeguard the culture and mother tongue of every
tribe; and implement the self-government of the indigenous people in
accordance with their will.

2) Establish a society of justice, safeguard the rights and welfare
of the laborers, farmers, fishermen, small businesses, traditional
industries, and under-privileged groups; improve employment
opportunities and narrow the disparity of the rich and the poor.

3) Insist on the sovereignty and safety of Taiwan; and on the
principles of equality and mutual benefits in dealing with China.

4) Build up the self-defense military and civil defense; reinforce
the trade relations and regional defense cooperation with the U. S.,
Japan, and nearby East Asian countries.

5) Withdraw investments by political parties, military, and Chinese
capital in Taiwan’s news media and strictly observe neutrality and
social responsibility in the news media.

6) Honor “Ecological Justice” while pursuing economic growth, promote
and instruct the concept of environmental protection.

7) Establish juridical credibility with the stance of fairness,
justice and righteousness.

We firmly believe that God is in charge of history, God will protect
the people of Taiwan from the threat of China. Just as the Bible
says, “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of
things not seen,” God will make Taiwan, in deed as well as in name, a
sovereign, independent, democratic and free country.

PCT General Assembly Moderator – Lai Hsien-Chang

PCT General Secretary – Andrew Chang

Issued by Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT)

October 28, 2010