Catholic Bishops approve 'Mutual Recognition of Baptism' for UCC, three other denominations

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:27:05 -0800

Catholic Bishops approve 'Mutual Recognition of
Baptism' for UCC, three other denominations

Written by Jeff Woodard
December 7, 2010

Culminating nearly seven years of study and
discourse, the U.S. Conference of Catholic
Bishops (USCCB) voted Nov. 16 during its fall
general assembly in Baltimore to approve the
"Common Agreement on Mutual Recognition of Baptism."

By a 204-11 vote, the agreement ? among the
USCCB, the United Church of Christ, Presbyterian
Church-USA, Reformed Church in America and
Christian Reformed Church ? is being hailed as a
"milestone on the ecumenical journey," says
Archbishop Wilton Gregory of Atlanta, chairman of
the USCCB Committee for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs.

"Together with our Reformed brothers and sisters,
we Catholic bishops can affirm baptism as the
basis of the real, even if incomplete, unity we
share in Christ," says Gregory. "Our conference
looks forward to seeing all four of the
authoritative bodies of the Reformed communities
approve the common agreement as we have today."

The Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, general minister and
president of the UCC, says the church will
discuss the USCCB's landmark vote with the entire denomination.

"My expectation is that we the issue will be
placed before the Executive Council or the
General Synod for official action," says Black,
referring to the UCC's biennial conference, to be
held next July in Tampa, Fla. "At this point, my
preference would be to place it before the
General Synod in order to give it maximum visibility in the life of the
UCC ."

The agreement has been ratified by the
Presbyterian Church. The Reformed Church in
America and the Christian Reformed Church are
expected to consider the agreement at their national meetings.

"It was quite the journey ? seven years," says
the Rev. Sidney F. Fowler, pastor of Westmoreland
Congregational UCC in Bethesda, Md. "I think it
offers an opportunity for an amazing conversation
among UCC folks who have deep ecumenical commitments."

"There were some rather tough moments," says
Fowler, who has worked for the national settings
of both the UCC in worship and spiritual
formation, and has extensive experience
developing lectionary-based and international ecumenical resources.

The two primary roadblocks to the agreement

centered on language used during the baptismal
rite and the manner in which water is used.

"At a moment of significant impasse, Geoffrey
brought fresh eyes and asked crucial questions
that helped the process move forward so all
parties could sign off on the common agreement,"
says Kimberly Whitney, UCC minister for community
life and assistant to the UCC's five-member
Collegium. "Our general minister and president
looks forward to charging us as a denomination
toward continued groundbreaking and visionary
connections ? both interfaith and ecumenical ? that are ahead of us."

Research found that nearly 20 percent of UCC
churches were using alternative language for "the
Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" for
baptismal formula, says Fowler. "Catholics don't
recognize baptism other than 'in the name of the
Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.' "

Gregory says the agreement, after approval by the
four Reformed denominations, will "allow Catholic
ministers to presume that baptisms performed in
these communities are 'true baptism' as
understood in Catholic doctrine and law."

"The presentation of a baptismal certificate by
Reformed Christians who wish to come into full
communion with the Catholic Church, or to marry a
Catholic, assures Catholic ministers that the
baptism performed by a Reformed minister involved
the use of flowing water and the biblical
invocation of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit," says Gregory.

The agreement encourages local Christian

communities to keep baptismal records, a practice
already held in the Catholic Church.

The press release stated that other bishops'
conferences worldwide have entered into similar
agreements with local Protestant communities, but
this document is "unprecedented" for the Catholic Church in the
United Stat es.