Editorial: Two thumbs up for the new election culture

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:33:47 +0800

3066 Edition

November 29~December 5, 2010

Editorial

Editorial: Two thumbs up for the new election culture

Translated by Lydia Ma

The 5 Special Municipality Election is finally over and we can
rejoice in seeing the efforts of many Taiwanese pro-democracy
advocates finally pay off.

Even though the election campaign was marred by the last-minute
shooting of Sean Lien, son of former Vice-President Lien Chan, the
night before election day, we’ve seen breakthroughs in DPP campaign
strategies. Not only did the party try to help citizens understand
its platform, it also refrained from attacking KMT opponents. This
change of atmosphere is a positive step in the development of
Taiwanese election culture.

On the flip side, we’ve also witnessed how mere “informational
accuracy” and “human rights advocacy” isn’t enough to make things
right when there is an obvious imbalance in the degree of access to
information that political parties and media outlets receive.

A biased media that favors a certain party coupled with the
technological edge it possesses and a celebrity’s face, will
oftentimes deliberately feed the public inaccurate information
resulting in the violation of the public’s rights to know the truth
and impair the public’s ability to think critically – especially when
the issue is about a party, a candidate, or a fringe person

Therefore, fighting for human rights and informational accuracy is a
goal we must continue pressing toward on this road to full
democratization. Perhaps we won’t see significant improvements in the
near future because personal and social values are shaped over a long
period of time. But this year’s campaign sure deserves our two thumbs
up.

If we merely focus on the “results” of this year’s election – who won
or who lost – and forget that, more importantly, the process ought to
reflect human rights and justice, then, free elections will not
improve Taiwanese society. It may merely cause division and fighting
over and over again.

But we are confident that as long as our governments and political
parties are willing to side with Taiwan and commit themselves to
making Taiwan better, we can continue to work together in improving
the current election culture.

********************

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of
the reporter and writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our
articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English) or http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)