[ENS] Episcopal Church called to prayer for Haiti / Deforestation, intensive storms and floods show

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:31:56 -0500

>Episcopal News Service
>December 9, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Episcopal Church called to prayer for Haiti
* TOP STORY - Deforestation, intensive storms and floods show effects
of climate change in Dominican Republic
* CHURCHWIDE - $3 million gift in honor of H. Boone Porter will
support study of theology, environmental stewardship
* CHURCHWIDE - RHODE ISLAND: Parishioners ensure bell rings again at
Emmanuel Newport
* DAYBOOK - December 10: Today in Scripture, Prayer

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Episcopal Church called to prayer for Haiti

Diocesan lay leaders stranded at conference site by post-election
violence

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] In the midst of increasing violence in the
Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince Dec. 9, Presiding Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori assured that country of the Episcopal Church's concern
for its citizens.

"Our prayers continue for the people of Haiti, particularly at this
time of increased anxiety, uncertainty, and outbreaks of violence,"
Jefferts Schori said in a statement to Episcopal News Service. "May
the Prince of Peace come speedily," she added, echoing the season of
Advent.

The presiding bishop was due to spend Dec. 10-13 with the people of
the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti Dec. 10 - 13, but she cancelled her
trip earlier in the week at the request of Bishop Jean Zaché Duracin.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_126131_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Deforestation, intensive storms and floods show effects of climate
change in Dominican Republic

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service - San Pedro, Dominican Republic] It is
estimated that by 2050, 80 percent of the rivers in the Dominican
Republic will have dried up unless something is done to stop
deforestation and develop a strategy to slow climate change, said
Silvio Minier of Oxfam.

Minier, a former Jesuit priest who now works in advocacy and programs
for Oxfam based in Santo Domingo, addressed the Episcopal Climate
Justice Gathering Dec. 8, giving an overview of the local effects of
climate change.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_126122_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>CHURCHWIDE

$3 million gift in honor of H. Boone Porter will support study of
theology, environmental stewardship

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] A gift pledge of $3 million -- in honor of
the Rev. H. Boone Porter, a Yale graduate and Episcopal priest, and
his wife, Violet M. Porter -- will fund a joint senior faculty
appointment between Yale Divinity School, Berkeley Divinity School and
the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126118_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

RHODE ISLAND: Parishioners ensure bell rings again at Emmanuel Newport

>By Anita Schell-Lambert

[Episcopal News Service] Built in 1902, the Emmanuel Episcopal Church
bell tower in Newport, Rhode Island, has always had two bells, but the
smaller "wedding bell" has been out of commission for two years. On
Nov. 27, a group of parishioners and volunteers undertook the
complicated task of reseating the bell so brides and grooms could hear
it once again.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126119_ENG_HTM.htm

More Churchwide stories:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>DAYBOOK

>On December 10, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm