WCC NEWS: Christmas message 2010

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:53:29 +0100

World Council of Churches - News

CHRISTMAS MESSAGE 2010 FROM THE WORLD COUNCIL OF CHURCHES GENERAL
SECRETARY

For immediate release: 13 December 2010

The nativity of Jesus Christ is proclaimed by angelic choirs in the
heights of heaven, and the joyous news is echoed afterwards by modest
shepherds in fields near Bethlehem. Meanwhile, a mother and father
care
for their newborn child. No place for this family could be found in
the
inn, so they shelter among livestock. The circumstances are strikingly
humble, yet their infant is the occasion of the angels’ song:

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude
of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace among those whom God favours!”
Luke 2:13-14
The splendour of Christmas highlights many contrasts in our
surroundings.
First of all – it is all about what we are given – surprisingly – by
God. This revelation of glory in heaven is given to people living off
the
land, dependent on simple blessings found in fields and farmyards, in
caring for sheep and celebrating a new birth. It is they who first
hear
the promise of so much more than bare survival or the simplest
pleasure.
They dare to imagine the real possibility of peace on earth. The song
of
angels encourages them to give glory to God alone and to seek peace
with
others, far and near.

Conditions in the world today are marked by contrasts at least as
great as
those in Jesus’ time. Everywhere we see wildly contradictory instances
of poverty and wealth, systems of tyranny and of justice, brutal
violence
and sincere attempts at reconciliation. Through it all, we are keenly
aware of the need for a peace worthy of the name: just peace for all.

In this season, and in looking to the New Year, we in the World
Council of
Churches find encouragement in the potential for seeking peace that
is to
be afforded in May 2011 at the International Ecumenical Peace
Convocation
(IEPC) in Kingston, Jamaica. Taking as its motto “Glory to God; Peace
on
Earth”, the IEPC will serve as a culmination of the churches’ Decade
for Overcoming Violence (2001-2010) and an occasion to renew our
common
commitment to the establishment of a just peace among peoples.

We encourage you to make certain your church is participating in the
IEPC
as all WCC member churches have been invited to send representatives
the convocation. For the WCC and its member churches peace is a vital
part
of living the fellowship and building Christian unity.

In these days we hear anew the opening accounts in the life of Jesus
Christ
our Lord and Saviour. Our hearts and spirits are refreshed once more.
In
response, we rededicate ourselves to the praise of God in highest
heaven
and to our ministries of peace on earth.

May the blessing of God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, be with you
always.

Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit
General secretary,
World Council of Churches

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith,
witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship
of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349
Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560
million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the
Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse
Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva,
Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You
are
registered as Worldwide Faith News with the address
wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=fd0fcf08af066bc6adc6 ).