PCT youth shines at Nuremberg invention fair

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:52:24 +0800

3067 Edition

December 6~12, 2010

Headline News

PCT youth shines at Nuremberg invention fair

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

Taiwanese inventors wowed the world at this year’s International
Trade Fair for Ideas-Inventions-New Products held in Nuremberg,
Germany, by sweeping 27 gold medals, 32 silver medals, and 23 bronze
medals. The fair is considered the world’s oldest invention show.

Of these medalists, one is a Presbyterian youth who is
merely15-year-old. Chien Yan-ju invented an eyeglass cleaner complete
with an automatic elevation function that requires no cleanser. Using
ozone as a medium to clean eyeglasses, this invention won Chien a
silver medal from judges as well as a patent.

Cambridge Presbyterian Church in Taipei, where Chien attends weekly
Sunday services, published this news in its weekly church bulletin
upon hearing about it.

Asked about his success, Chien said he invented this machine because
he also wears glasses. "Since I have to rinse my eyeglasses and dry
them on a daily basis, I often find this task troublesome and a waste
of paper."

With his invention, eyeglasses can now simply be placed into the
machine before the user goes to bed. An inbuilt power elevation will
lift up the glasses after the cleaning process to dry the lenses at
room temperature. There are also 5 LED lights on the machine’s
brackets to help users locate their eyeglasses quickly, especially in
the dark.

Chien’s mother credits God for her son’s international success and
interest in sciences. She said her son was lucky to meet teachers
willing to spend lots of time with him to study sciences and answer
his questions. Of course, it also helped to have a father with strong
interests in physics and chemistry, she added.

********************

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of
the reporter and writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our
articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English) or http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)