[ENS] Sudanese summit strengthens partners in ministry / Congregation creates 'fresh meeting with Je

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:53:28 -0500

>Episcopal News Service
>December 15, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* CHURCHWIDE - Sudanese summit strengthens partners in ministry
* CHURCHWIDE - INDIANA: Congregation creates 'fresh meeting with
Jesus' in Stations of the Nativity
* CHURCHWIDE - Sewanee professor receives 2011 John Templeton Award
for Theological Promise
* CHURCHWIDE - Input sought on possible hymnal revision
* OPINION - Christmas pageants: Bringing 'good news' to life
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS - December 19, 2010 - Fourth Sunday of Advent
- Year A
* DAYBOOK - December 16: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History

>_____________________

>CHURCHWIDE

Sudanese summit strengthens partners in ministry

>By Greta Huls

[Episcopal News Service] One month before the historic Jan. 9
referendum in which the people of southern Sudan are expected to vote
for independence from the north, the Episcopal Diocese of Arizona
hosted the fifth annual Sudanese Leadership Summit aimed at
strengthening Sudanese ministry in the United States.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126223_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

INDIANA: Congregation creates 'fresh meeting with Jesus' in Stations
of the Nativity

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Mishawaka in
the Diocese of Northern Indiana gave new meaning to the incarnation
this Advent when members created "Stations of the Nativity" as a
collective meditative exercise for the season.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126226_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Sewanee professor receives 2011 John Templeton Award for Theological
Promise

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Benjamin John King, assistant
professor of church history for the School of Theology
(http://theology.sewanee.edu) at the University of the South, Sewanee,
Tennessee, is one of 12 post-doctoral scholars who have received the
2011 John Templeton Award for Theological Promise.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126228_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

>Input sought on possible hymnal revision

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church Standing Commission on
Liturgy and Music is inviting input and comments about a possible
revision of The Hymnal 1982.

According to a press release from the church's Office of Public
Affairs, an online survey is now available to engage the entire church
in a discussion of whether the church's main hymnal needs revision,
the Rev. Dr. Ruth Meyers, commission chair, said in the release.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_126231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Churchwide stories:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Christmas pageants

>Bringing 'good news' to life

>By Keith Axberg

[Episcopal News Service] One day I was enjoying a nice cup of coffee
when I overheard an elderly couple talking about a Christmas Eve
service they had attended at a local mega-church. It had been quite a
show: The church had a full orchestra, choir, and first-class music;
they had produced an event that included live animals, flying angels
and a Broadway-worthy light show.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_126221_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

December 19, 2010 - Fourth Sunday of Advent - Year A

>By the Very Rev. Anthony F.M. Clavier

(RCL) Isaiah 7:10-16; Psalm 80:1-7, 16-18; Romans 1:1-7; Matthew
1:18-25

[Sermons That Work] At this time of the year, expectation is very
nearly overcome by exhaustion. Whether that expectation is Christmas
dinner and a pile of ill-afforded presents, or the Coming of the Son
of Man, the lead up now seems interminable, like an overlong
engagement, and the pressure to do the right thing by the right people
seems overwhelming.

The Christmas tree, which somehow wandered into the living room before
Thanksgiving, looks a bit shabby now, or if it is artificial, it
probably needs dusting. Perhaps the dog tore into one of the packages.
There's still last-minute shopping to be done, a turkey to be bought -
is Thanksgiving now like Christmas, or Christmas like Thanksgiving? -
and we still haven't decided whether to invite old Uncle Harry over
and endure his endless war stories.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_125877_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>DAYBOOK

>On December 16, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On December 16, 1485, Catherine of Aragon, the
first wife of Henry VIII, was born in Laredo Palace, Alcala de
Henares, Spain. On December 16, 1826, John Ellerton, Anglican priest,
hymnist and hymn translator, was born in London, England.