UMNS Daily Digest - Dec. 21, 2010 (Shepherd, Nigeria, Muslims, Christians, British Methodists, Young

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:12:35 -0800

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to
your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                           Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2010
                   [5]Shepherd of today relates to nativity
                  [6]Nigerian Muslims, Christians seek peace
                   [7]People watch, wait for malaria relief
        [8]United Methodist, British Methodist leaders discuss mission
              [9]Epworth Herald newspaper returns, seeks writers
              [10]Young People's Ministries launches new website
               [11]CD offers new and familiar Christmas carols
                     [12]Holiday Warmth for Armenia UMTV

   [13]UMTV: Modern Shepherd at Christmas»

   [14]UMTV: Microloans for Christmas»

   [15]UMTV: Holiday Warmth for Armenia»

   [16]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [17]Find us on Facebook

   [18]Twitter

    Contact Us
   [19]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

This will be the last UMNS Daily Digest until Jan. 4, 2011. We wish
everyone
                 a blessed Christmas and joyous New Year.

    "The angel said, 'Don't be afraid! Look! I bring good news to you
 wonderful, joyous news for all people. Your savior is born today in
David's
               city. He is Christ the Lord.'" (Luke 2:10-11)

Shepherd of today relates to nativity

   SONORA, Texas (UMNS) â Each Christmas Eve when he hears the
familiar account
   of the shepherds' angelic visit, Glen Fisher has good reason to
sit up a
   little straighter in his pew. The United Methodist has herded
sheep for more
   than 30 years on his ranch near Sonora in southwest Texas and
takes special
   delight in being part of a profession referenced throughout the
Bible.

                                 [20]Read full story and post a
comment»

Nigerian Muslims, Christians seek peace

   JALINGO, Nigeria (UMNS) â One hundred Nigerian Muslims and
Christians came
   in peace to Taraba, where they sought ways not only to coexist but
also to
   work together to improve the lives of their beleaguered fellow
citizens of
   all faiths. Tensions between the religions have flared into
violence in
   recent  years.  While  history  cannot  be overcome in three days,
the
   restorative justice seminar was a start.

                                 [21]Read full story and post a
comment»

People watch, wait for malaria relief

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) â In a UMNS commentary, Kay Panovec
remembers how,
   as a small child, she would wait for Christmas to arrive. When she
recently
   participated in a mosquito bed net distribution in Sierra Leone, a
young
   mother told her, "I've been waiting for this day."

                            [22]Read full commentary and post a
comment»

United Methodist, British Methodist leaders discuss mission

   NEW YORK (UMNS) â Leaders of the United Methodist Board of Global
Ministries
   held a two-day meeting in December with British Methodist
representatives.
   "This is the first time in a decade that we have had the chance as
British
   and  United Methodists to talk together about our common
objectives in
   mission," said Thomas Kemper, the board's chief executive. "Our
exchange was
   open, filled with trust, and we began to forge new ways to
collaborate in
   doing God's work around the world."

Epworth Herald newspaper returns, seeks writers

   SULLIVAN, Wis. (UMNS) â After an 80-year absence, the Epworth
Herald, the
   official newspaper of the Epworth League, will relaunch in January
2011.
   Named for the birthplace in England of John and Charles Wesley,
Epworth
   League had thousands of young adult chapters around the world
before it
   disappeared  in  1939.  A  new Epworth League was started this
year in
   Wisconsin. For more information about the Herald, [23]contact Ken
Rheingans.

Young People's Ministries launches new website

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) â The United Methodist Board of
Discipleship's Young
   People's Ministries has revamped its web
   site, [24]www.globalyoungpeople.org, with interactive features to
better
   serve young leaders across the globe. Some of the new features
include chat,
   text message subscriptions, free monthly webinars, grant and
scholarship
   information and weekly stories highlighting ministries with young
people
   throughout The United Methodist Church.

CD offers new and familiar Christmas carols

   NEW YORK (UMNS) â A recording of new and familiar carols from
Europe, North
   America and the Caribbean, "The Wonder of Christmas," performed by
Steven
   Kimbrough, founder of the Global Praise program for the United
Methodist
   Board of Global Ministries, is available at
[25]www.gmmproduction.com. All
   proceeds go to St. Francis of Assisi Hospice Care of Singapore and
the
   mission outreach in India of Kampong Kapor Methodist Church in
Singapore.

Holiday Warmth for Armenia UMTV

   DOYLESTOWN, Ohio (UMTV)âThis year, Christmas Eve services will be
a little
   different at Doylestown United Methodist Church in northern Ohio.
Besides
   the Christmas story, the Rev. Carl Dulin, his wife and son will
talk about a
   recent trip to deliver hundreds of coats to children in Armenia.
âCoats for
   Carrieâs Kidsâ is a mission of the congregation that honors the
Dulinsâ
   daughter, Carrie, who died while serving as a missionary in
Armenia.

   âThere was one kid left there, and there were no coats,â Carl
Dulin said.
   âIt was just like God was tapping me on the shoulder. And so we
gave him
   mine. The mayor said âEverybodyâs going to see him in that coat,
and heâs
   going  to  remember  you.â I said, âWell, let them remember The
United
   Methodist  Church.â  I could just feel Christâs presence. And
thatâs a
   wonderful feeling.â You can view UMTVâs âHoliday Warmth for
Armenia" at
   [26]http://bit.ly/gCsjVb.

   You can also find the latest [27]UMTV videos on Facebook. And you
can get
   updates on the latest UMTV stories by following [28]umtvfran on
Twitter.

   Did  someone  you  know pass along this copy to you? Get your own
copy
   [29]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [30]Rethink Church
             [31]TechShop
             [32]EcuFilm
             [33]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [34]Interpreter Magazine
      [35]El' Interprete
      [36]United Methodists In Service
             [37]InfoServ
             [38]Kingswood Communications
   [39]United Methodist News Service
      [40]UM Audio
      [41]UMTV
             [42]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [43]United Methodist Communications International
             [44]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [45]Crisis Communications
                     [46]Communications Training
                     [47]Program Calendars
                     [48]United Methodist Press Center
                     [49]Scholarships
   [50]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and
Designated
   Giving
                     [51]United Methodist Productions

       [52]http://umns.umc.org | [53]Privacy Policy | [54]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here
to start
                your own account: [55]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville,
TN 37203

   [56]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4096018195.gif]