UMNS Daily Digest - November 2, 2011 (Council of Bishops, Northern Illinois Annual (regional) Confer

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:37:09 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                        Wednesday, November 2, 2011
               [5]Bishops endorse church restructure proposal
                    [6]PeaceGen 2011 trip motivates teens
                          [7]Bishop Carcaño honored
                 [8]UMCOR assists landmine victims in Myanmar
              [9]Black caucus opposes church structure proposals

   [10]Call to Action Report»

   [11]UMTV: 9/11 Pastor Seeks Peace»

   [12]UMTV: Memorial Honors U.S. Military»

   [13]Career Care at Church»

   [14]Additional UMNS Stories»

   [15]Spanish Portal»

   [16]Find us on Facebook
   [17]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [18]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

 "We ask all United Methodists to join us as together we work to do the ânew
  thingâ God intends for our church and discover the path God is making for
  our future." â Letter from the Council of Bishops of The United Methodist
                                  Church.

Bishops endorse church restructure proposal

   LAKE JUNALUSKA, N.C. (UMNS) â United Methodist bishops on Nov. 1 voted
   overwhelmingly to endorse proposals to restructure the denomination and
   redistribute up to $60 million in church funds. The vote specifically
   endorsed a letter, titled â[19]For the Sake of a New World, We See a New
   Church: A Call to Action,â detailing changes â some requiring action by
   General Conference, some not.

   âWe see a new church,â the letter from the bishops says. âIt is a church
   that is clear about its mission and confident about its future, a church
   that is always reaching out, inviting, alive, agile and resilient. We ask
   all United Methodists to join us as together we work to do the ânew thingâ
   God intends for our church and discover the path God is making for our
   future.â

                                 [20]Read full story and post a comment»

PeaceGen 2011 trip motivates teens

   NEW YORK CITY (UMNS) -- As a youth in the Virginia Annual (regional)
   Conference, Lonnie Chafin participated in a United Nations seminar,
   sponsored by [21]United Methodist Women. He was so impressed with what he
   learned that he decided to become a [22]mission intern after college. For
   the past nine years, he and the Rev. Christopher Pierson, connectional
   ministries director for the Northern Illinois Conference, have led high
   school students on a mission to New York City to learn how to become a
   generation of peacemakers in the midst of violence. They call the trips
   â[23]Plumbline Tours,â based on Amos 7:8

                                 [24]Read full story and post a comment»

Bishop Carcaño honored

   PHOENIX (UMNS) -- Over the summer [25]Bishop Minerva G. Carcaño of the
   [26]Desert Southwest Annual (regional) Conference received the Lives of
   Commitment award at the 15th Annual Lives of Commitment Breakfast in New
   York City. âAs the first Hispanic woman to be elected to the episcopacy of
   The United Methodist Church and a passionate advocate for immigrants in this
   country, (Bishop Carcaño is) a shining example of the type of ethical and
   courageous leader we aspire to nurture and support,â said the Rev. Katharine
   R. Henderson, president of Auburn Seminary.

   [27]Read full story»

UMCOR assists landmine victims in Myanmar

   NEW YORK (UMNS) â Myanmar, also known as Burma, is the only country in the
   world where ongoing use of antipersonnel mines by government forces has been
   confirmed, says the International Campaign to Ban Landmines. The United
   Methodist Committee on Relief is working with partner Clear Path
   International to deliver assistance to 835 adults and children who are
   survivors of landmine accidents or otherwise affected by the insecurity
   landmines provoke.

   [28]Make an online donation»

Black caucus opposes church structure proposals

   LOUISVILLE, Ky. (UMNS)â At its 43rd annual meeting Oct. 27-27, the Southeast
   Jurisdiction caucus of Black Methodists for Church Renewal expressed concern
   over the Call to Action Interim Operation Teamâs recommendations related to
   the restructure of the church. The group pointed to a proposal that reduces
   nine of the 13 general agencies, plus the Connectional Table, into one, with
   one general secretary, a 15-member board of directors, and a 45-member
   board, which may include some diversity, but only meets once a year. The
   Call to Action Steering Team was commissioned by the Council of Bishops with
   support from the Connectional Table to conduct an assessment of the
   practices and processes of The United Methodist Church.
   The groupâs statement said: âLooking at how the general church can operate
   more effectively and efficiently is a good thing, but in the present
   recommendations, the voices and needs of many racial/ethnic United
   Methodists do not seem to be present. We believe that full participation of
   racial/ethnic persons at the General Church level is essential for
   producing, living in and serving a genuinely inclusive and relevant United
   Methodist Church.â

    Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? [29]Get your own copy.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [30]Rethink Church
             [31]TechShop
             [32]EcuFilm
             [33]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [34]Interpreter Magazine
      [35]El' Interprete
      [36]United Methodists In Service
             [37]InfoServ
             [38]Kingswood Communications
   [39]United Methodist News Service
      [40]UM Audio
      [41]UMTV
             [42]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [43]United Methodist Communications International
             [44]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [45]Crisis Communications
                     [46]Communications Training
                     [47]Program Calendars
                     [48]United Methodist Press Center
                     [49]Scholarships
   [50]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [51]United Methodist Productions

       [52]http://umns.umc.org | [53]Privacy Policy | [54]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [55]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [56]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5078853726.gif]