UMNS Daily Digest - November 4, 2011 (All Saints Sunday, Council of Bishops, West Virginia Annual (r

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:51:37 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Friday, November 4, 2011
                 [5]Everyday âsaintsâ transform lives, faith
                [6]Wenner, Brown win election to lead bishops
                  [7]Interim bishop named in West Virginia
                    [8]Dillard names Kimbrough president
                    [9]Holding out hope for Afghan women

   [10]
   Call to Action Report»

   [11]
   UMTV: Malaria Lab Fights Killer»

   [12]
   UMTV: Lead Women Pastors»

   [13]
   UMTV: Black College History»

   [14]
   Additional UMNS Stories»

    [15] Find us on Facebook

   [16]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [17]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "I attended church and Sunday school with her every week. She read me
 stories of the Bible when I was little, and we shared our faith as I grew.
   She was the kindest person I ever knew." âMarge Hess Yetzke of Colona,
Mich., speaking about her faith model, âAunt Virginiaâ Harroff, who lived to
                                  be 100.

Everyday âsaintsâ transform lives, faith

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) --On Sunday, Nov. 6, United Methodists will
   celebrate All Saints Sunday. Whom will you remember on this day and why?
   When we posed that question on the United Methodist Church Facebook page, we
   received more than 160 responses. Ana Marie Carles Agad, who now works in
   Amman, Jordan, wrote about the grandfather who raised her and shared his
   love of God. âHe was our mentor,â Agad said. âWe used to go to church every
   Sunday. We never missed (the opportunity) to visit God's home to thank him
   for all the blessings we had. Now that (my grandfather) is gone, it's very
   difficult to adjust. I miss him so much.â

                                 [18]Read full story and post a comment»

Wenner, Brown win election to lead bishops

   LAKE JUNALUSKA, N.C. (UMNS) â Bishop Rosemarie Wenner of Germany will be the
   next president of the [19]Council of Bishops, marking the first time a woman
   from outside the United States will lead the global body. The council on
   Nov. 2 unanimously elected Wenner president and Bishop Warner H. Brown Jr.
   of the California-Nevada Annual (regional) Conference as the
   president-designate. [20]Wenner will start her two-year term on the third
   day of General Conference, the denominationâs top-lawmaking body. [21]Brown
   will succeed her in 2014.

                                 [22]Read full story and post a comment»

Interim bishop named in West Virginia

   LAKE JUNALUSKA, N.C. (UMNS) -- Bishop Ernest S. Lyght of the West Virginia
   Annual (regional) Conference [23]has announced that he will retire on Dec.
   31 because of health reasons. The Council of Bishops, meeting here, on Nov.
   3 named [24]retired Bishop William Boyd Grove to be the conferenceâs bishop
   from Jan. 1 through Aug. 31, 2012, until a new bishop is elected. âIt has
   been an immense privilege and awesome opportunity for me to serve as a
   bishop in The United Methodist Church since 1996,â Lyght said in a letter to
   West Virginiaâs 700 active and retired clergy. âI have thoroughly
   appreciated the years of service in the West Virginia Conference.â

   [25]Read full story»

Dillard names Kimbrough president

   NEW ORLEANS (UMNS) -- [26]Dillard Universityâs board of trustees
   has [27]chosen Walter M. Kimbrough to lead the university as the seventh
   president of the United Methodist-related school. Kimbrough will take office
   July 1, 2012. He joins Dillard after serving for seven years as president of
   [28]Philander Smith College in Little Rock, Ark. Under his leadership,
   Philander Smith increased student recruitment and graduation rates, adopted
   a new mission and focused on its core values and history as an [29]HBCU and
   a charter member of the [30]United Negro College Fund.

   [31]Read full story»

Holding out hope for Afghan women

   New York (UMNS) â In her Bloombytes blog, UMNS writer Linda Bloom notes the
   struggle of women in Afghanistan, as shown in the recent PBS series, âWomen,
   War and Peace,â and points out how the support of Afghan partners improves
   the lives of women and girls.

                                       [32]Read blog and post a comment»

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? [33]Get your own copy.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [34]Rethink Church
             [35]TechShop
             [36]EcuFilm
             [37]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [38]Interpreter Magazine
      [39]El' Interprete
      [40]United Methodists In Service
             [41]InfoServ
             [42]Kingswood Communications
   [43]United Methodist News Service
      [44]UM Audio
      [45]UMTV
             [46]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [47]United Methodist Communications International
             [48]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [49]Crisis Communications
                     [50]Communications Training
                     [51]Program Calendars
                     [52]United Methodist Press Center
                     [53]Scholarships
   [54]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [55]United Methodist Productions

       [56]http://umns.umc.org | [57]Privacy Policy | [58]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [59]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [60]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5085250434.gif]