Indigenous people highlight their plight at “National Fate” roundtable meeting

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:53:53 +0800

3115 Edition

November 7~13, 2011

Headline News

Indigenous people highlight their plight at “National Fate” roundtable meeting

Reported by Simon Lin

Written by Lydia Ma

To mark the 40th anniversary of the drafting and publishing of PCT’s “Statement
On Our National Fate” in 1971, PCT General Assembly organized a series of
roundtable meetings recently with the latest session especially designed for
indigenous pastors and members. This session was held at Presbyterian Bible
College on November 2-3, 2011, and special guests at the session included DPP
vice-presidential candidate Su Jia-chyuan and Taiwan Solidarity Union Chairman
Huang Kun-fei.

PCT General Secretary Andrew Chang opened the session by asking, “It’s been 40
years since the publication of “Statement On Our National Fate”, so, why are we
meeting here today?” He said the reason why this statement is still relevant
today is because Taiwan had gone to great lengths in the past few decades to
build a democratic and free country, which is still at a nascent stage today.

Unfortunately, these past 3 years under the Ma administration has imperiled
these achievements through misguided policies. Chang said the Ma
administration’s disregard for Taiwan’s sovereignty, disloyalty toward
Taiwanese people, and collusion with business corporations at the expense of
indigenous groups, are reasons enough for the church to rise up as God’s
stewards in Taiwan and work toward creating a just, democratic, and independent
Taiwan.

Su Jia-chyuan said the DPP has been an advocate of indigenous rights for a long
time and has participated in indigenous land rights movements in the past. He
vowed that if the DPP were elected, it would be willing to issue a formal
apology on behalf of the Taiwanese government to indigenous groups for all past
injustices. He added that his government would create truth and reconciliation
commissions to resolve all grievances involving cultural, language, and land
rights so that government policies would be conducive to indigenous
self-determination.

Pastors at this roundtable meeting said they were glad to hear that the DPP
would take the lead in protecting indigenous peoples’ rights and hoped it would
keep its word if elected.

Fenghsin Presbyterian Church pastor, Rev. Chen Nan-jou, was a key speaker at
this roundtable meeting where he spoke on “What ‘The Statement on our National
Fate’ says about the social responsibility of Christians”. He underscored that
whereas most citizens care about politics because it’s part of exercising their
social responsibility or may prove advantageous for their personal gain,
Christians are called to care about politics because of their religious
convictions, including Christ’s command to love others as oneself and bring
about God’s will on earth as it is in heaven.

Chen added that Christians are called to care about politics so that society
may reflect God’s love and all the principles of God’s kingdom. He added that
each era wrestles with different issues, which means that Christians across the
centuries have different social responsibilities. For the current Christian
generation, it is the church’s responsibility care about the plight of
indigenous peoples and do something about it.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)