Editorial: Enough with the arrogance

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:53:39 +0800

3115 Edition

November 7~13, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Enough with the arrogance

Translated by Lydia Ma

In recent days, Lee Chien-chang, the choreography advisor of “Dreamers,” a rock
musical considered the highlight in a series of activities celebrating the ROC
centennial, wrote an open letter to President Ma Ying-jeou. In the letter, Lee
said he was resigning from his post as general director of the Taitung landmark
show, a project entrusted to Taitung County by the Council of Cultural Affairs
(CCA) to promote both Taitung and ROC’s centennial.

Lee went on to lament the government’s stance on the Meiliwan resort, nuclear
waste disposal and indigenous self-determination. He also attached a script
along with his letter where the moral of the story was respecting people’s
territory.

What transformed Lee? He said he merely spent 3 days in Taitung with indigenous
people and instead of wasting time arguing, natives there showed him their
beautiful land. After 3 days, Lee came away convinced that government policies
such as the build-operate-transfer (BOT) of the Meiliwan Resort and the
disposal of nuclear wastes in Taitung were so evil, he could no longer imagine
partnering with an administration that advocated such projects.

A few days later, renowned indigenous movie director Mayaw Biho also wrote an
open letter questioning the merits of the ROC centenary celebrations. He wrote:
“In all the celebrations sponsored by the CCA aimed at marketing Taiwan and
propelling it onto the international stage, or better, marketing the KMT and
campaigning for the President, has it ever crossed officials’ minds that
two-thirds of the land in Taiwan was practically stolen from indigenous tribes?”

Mayaw Biho went on to allude that the way the KMT went about promoting ROC
centenary celebrations this year is akin to “thieves” dressing up and calling
themselves “masters of the house” and throwing a party of international
proportions.

The arrogance of public officials reached its apex in the first week of
November as churches celebrated Reformation Day. The CCA, whose Minister Emile
Sheng is a professed Christian, announced that a rock musical production called
“Dreamers” would be staged in Taitung. The show lasted 2 nights and cost more
than 200 million dollars. Such an exorbitant price tag horrified one pastor so
much that he wrote an article decrying such a waste of money.

“Dreamers” is a musical that contrasts the story of one of the young martyrs in
the Huanghuagang Uprising of 1911 with that of his grandson, a contemporary
youth with dreams of his own. The martyr’s actions led to the revolution
against the Ching dynasty and the founding of the ROC.

The aforementioned pastor estimated that if all the costs for this show were
summed, the price of a single seat at the venue, estimated at NT$18,000, would
be enough to help 2 low-income families make ends meet for one month. Though
$18,000 may not seem much for a public official, it can make a huge difference
in the lives of poor families by helping them buy more fresh produce than they
could possibly carry home.

But what horrifies us even more is the number of churches that have responded
by accusing the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) of meddling in politics
just because PCT leaders have criticized the price tag for staging “Dreamers”.
These churches’ reactions are understandable considering that many have
profited from grants given by Sheng and want to maintain good relations with
his office. However, it is our hope that Christians continue to speak the truth
in love and stand in solidarity in Christ.

As the PCT prepares for its 150th anniversary, we acknowledge and confess that
we have had our successes and failures. We can skip the adulation lest we
become too full of ourselves, but a little bit of introspection every day on
how we’ve fallen short of God’s standards is always a good thing. It may just
go a long way in helping us avoid making mistakes that we shouldn’t be making
and shaming God’s name along the way.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)