ELCA Board of Pensions announces name change to Portico Benefit Services

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:43:32 -0600

Title: ELCA Board of Pensions announces name change to Portico Benefit Services
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>November 16, 2011

ELCA Board of Pensions announces name change to Portico Benefit Services
11-137-MG

MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- The Board of Pensions of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will begin doing business as Portico
Benefit Services, effective immediately.

The trustees of the ELCA Board of Pensions approved the name change
during their November meeting and recommended that the ELCA Church
Council amend Continuing Resolution 17.20.A11 at its Nov. 11-13 meeting
in Chicago. The Church Council unanimously approved the amendment.

"Changing our name to Portico Benefit Services follows
recommendations we've heard over several years from plan members,
advisers, church leaders and our own employees," said the Rev. Jeffrey
Thiemann, president and CEO.

"We believe a new name will help people better understand what we do
as this church's provider of health, retirement, disability and survivor
benefits and related services. Though our name is changing, our
connection to this church remains strong. I look to our future together
with enthusiasm."

Thiemann, who wanted to assure plan members that benefits would
continue without interruption, assumed leadership on Oct. 1. The
organization is a separately incorporated ministry of the ELCA and is
headquartered in Minneapolis.

ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson observed that the new name is
grounded "in biblical witness" and is reflective of the organization's
commitment to expand and deepen its services.

The word portico evokes the portico of Solomon's temple, where Jesus
taught in John 10:22-28, Hanson pointed out. "It was a place of gathering
and entry into God's sacred presence at the temple.

"Portico Benefit Services identifies this ministry with a whole-
person-wellness emphasis," said Hanson. "They will continue to serve
those who serve and help to empower people to live well for the sake of
ministry for the life of the world."

The transition from Board of Pensions to Portico Benefit Services
will occur over the next 12 to 18 months. Thiemann said that the new name
will appear gradually, allowing the organization to use up, rather than
discard, existing benefits materials and take advantage of natural
product lifecycles.

Portico Benefit Services, formerly called the ELCA Board of
Pensions, provides health, retirement, disability and survivor benefits
and related services for 50,000 active and retired ELCA pastors, rostered
laypersons, lay employees and their families.

For more information on the Board of Pension's name change, visit
www.ELCAbop.org/name.

Information about the ELCA Board of Pensions is at
http://www.ELCAbop.org.

>---

About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.