PCT holds forum on public theology and church’s social calling ahead of national elections

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:12:45 +0800

3117 Edition

November 21-27, 2011

Headline News

PCT holds forum on public theology and church’s social calling ahead of
national elections

Reported by Sam Lee

Written by Lydia Ma

Tainan Theological College and Seminary (TTCS) and Sinlau Hospital co-sponsored
a training seminar for pastors called “Public Theology In These Ever-changing
Times” on November 14-15, 2011, and invited notable academics and pastors to
comment on various current issues, including globalization, theology, history,
and cross-strait relations, based on both PCT’s perspective and how public
theology would apply in these issues. Various speakers commented on the
importance of the upcoming presidential and legislative elections in
determining the future of Taiwan and highlighted PCT’s key role as well.

Speakers invited to speak at this seminar included former PCT General Secretary
C.M. Kao, TTCS Church History Professor Rev. Cheng Yang-en, and other
academics. After reviewing PCT’s participation in Taiwanese political and
social issues from 1971, when it drafted and published the “Statement On Our
National Fate”, to the present time, Kao went on to stress that Taiwan faces
even grimmer circumstances today as the CCP and the KMT seek to hijack the
country’s future.

“If we choose the wrong candidate on January 14, 2012, Taiwan will be plunged
into a period of darkness. We pray that God will grant us discernment to know
the difference between right and wrong, truth and falsehood, good and evil, and
help us to elect the right candidate for the presidency,” Kao said.

He added that voting was an important means for Christians to participate and
witness in the public arena and urged people to elect a “just, honest,
talented, and pro-Taiwan candidate”. In his opinion, presidential candidate
Tsai Ing-wen fit all of these criteria well.

The seminar’s convener, TTCS Professor Yang Shun-tsun, remarked that public
theology had become increasingly important in face of recent natural disasters,
financial crises, food shortage crises, and soaring energy prices, which
together had precipitated a “global social crisis”. As a church rooted in
Taiwan and identifying with Taiwanese people, Yang hoped that this seminar and
ensuing discussions would inspire people to think of new approaches in which
the PCT could take to influence Taiwanese politics and society and contribute
to the future and wellbeing of Taiwan.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)