UMNS Daily Digest - April 12, 2012 (Repentance, gender bias, online giving, older adults, inclusion)

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:18:18 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

[2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Thursday, April 12, 2012

>[5]GC2012 to include aAct of Repentancea

>[6]Call for action on gender bias

>[7]Older adult group raises concerns

>[8]Native Americans join inclusion push

>[9]

>General Conference 2012A>

>[10]

>General Conference appA>

>[11]

>General Conference BlogsA>

>[12]

>Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[13]Find us on Facebook

>[14]Twitter

>[15]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aI have such great respect for Methodists who are actually intending to

do something about this history of violence that most Americans just

ignore.a a The Rev. George E. aTinka Tinker, citizen of the Osage

>Nation.

>GC2012 to include aAct of Repentancea

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Historically, the treatment of indigenous people

by Christian churches a including United Methodists a has been good,

bad and ugly. As The United Methodist Church gathers here April 24-May

4 for its worldwide legislative session, it will recognize that history

and take steps toward healing with Native Americans and other

indigenous people around the world. An aAct of Repentance for

Indigenous Peoplea worship service is planned April 27.

>[16]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Call for action on gender bias

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) a M. Garlinda Burton has weighed the numbers

concerning inclusion of women in the worldwide United Methodist Church

and found them wanting. From key decision-making councils to church

ushers, women too often are invisible, writes Burton, the top executive

for the United Methodist Commission on the Status and Role of Women.

[17]Read full commentary and post a commentA>

>Older adult group raises concerns

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) a The United Methodist Committee on Older Adult

Ministries has issued a statement affirming the work of the Call to

Action Interim Operations Team but raising concerns about the groupas

proposed restructuring. aWe are confused by the complete omission of

older adults in reference to the future of the Church,a the statement

said. aGod has given us the gift of longer life, but there are church

leaders who do not fully understand Godas gift of aging and purpose for

>long life.a

>[18]Read full statementA>

>Native Americans join inclusion push

HOLDENVILLE, Oka. (UMNS) a The Native American International Caucus of

The United Methodist Church has joined a coalition advocating for the

inclusion of all people a regardless of race, gender or sexual

orientation. aIt is time to join our brothers and sisters who continue

to seek a place in The United Methodist Church and provide that space

as we should for all people of God,a said caucus chair Anne Marshall.

>[19]Read moreA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[20]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[21]Rethink Church

>[22]TechShop

>[23]EcuFilm

>[24]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[25]Interpreter Magazine

>[26]El' Interprete

>[27]United Methodists In Service

>[28]InfoServ

>[29]United Methodist News Service

>[30]UM Audio

>[31]UMTV

[32]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[33]United Methodist Communications International

>[34]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[35]Crisis Communications

>[36]Communications Training

>[37]Program Calendars

>[38]United Methodist Press Center

>[39]Scholarships

[40]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[41]United Methodist Productions

[42]http://umns.umc.org | [43]Privacy Policy | [44]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [45]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[46]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5643213784.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. http://www.umc.org/dailydigestarchives/

3.
http://www3.umcom.org/site/c.mrLZJ9PFKmG/b.3754251/k.6982/Whitelist_Instructions.htm

>4. http://umns.umc.org/subscribe

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpW5VRY_.html#1

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpW5VRY_.html#2

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpW5VRY_.html#4

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpW5VRY_.html#5

9.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=5eLHIROnEbKKKPPBF&s=9oJILWNyFdKNIYMwGnH&m=cjLQKbMTIlIVJhJ

10.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=8rJNJ0PzGeJQLZOOH&s=9oJILWNyFdKNIYMwGnH&m=cjLQKbMTIlIVJhJ