UMNS Daily Digest - April 18, 2012 (Sexuality, General Conference, inclusion, Scripture, biblical st

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:49:24 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

[2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Wednesday, April 18, 2012

>[5]GC2012: Will the UMC say aI doa to all?

>[6]GC2012: Where views on marriage differ

[7]GC2012: Delegate voices hope in sexuality debate

>[8]Keep Disciplineas stance on sex at GC2012

[9]UM board signs letter against religious profiling

>[10]Missionary programs for young adults

>[11]UMC.org covers General Conference

>[12]

>General Conference 2012A>

>[13]

>General Conference appA>

>[14]

>General Conference BlogsA>

>[15]

>Change the World 2012A>

>[16]

>Social Networks and FeedsA>

>[17]

>United Methodist Boards/AgenciesA>

>[18]

>Imagine No MalariaA>

>[19]

>Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[20]Find us on Facebook

>[21]Twitter

>[22]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aI have seen and experienced the pain and the brokenness in parts of

our global movement whenever our church has failed to hold fast to the

essential teaching of the Holy Scripture.a a The Rev. Eddie Fox, world

director of evangelism, The World Methodist Council.

>GC2012: Will the UMC say aI doa to all?

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) a The United Methodist Churchas decades-long

debate over sexuality issues will again take center stage when the

General Conference begins April 24 in Tampa, Fla. Delegates to the

11-day global assembly will face more than 70 petitions on

homosexuality, including efforts to change wording in the Discipline

that calls the practice of homosexuality aincompatible with Christian

>teaching.a

>[23]Read full story and post a commentA>

>GC2012: Where views on marriage differ

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) a If Jesus didnat have a lot to say on the

issue of marriage or sexual orientation, United Methodists have said

volumes. Throughout church history, delegates to the denominationas top

lawmaking body have always ended their quadrennial assembly leaving

intact the statement amarriage is between one man and one woman.a At

the 2012 global meeting April 24-May 4 in Tampa, Fla., the question

>will be asked and decided once again.

>[24]Read full story and post a commentA>

GC2012: Delegate voices hope in sexuality debate

SALEM, Ore. (UMNS) a The churchas debate over homosexuality raises

fundamental questions about inclusion, writes Jan Nelson, a lay

delegate to General Conference from the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference.

aCan we have a witness that truly invites other people to become

followers of Jesus when we are busy fighting over whether or not

everyone has a place?a Nelson asks. aShould I and other gay people

really take our gifts and graces and go away?a

[25]Read full commentary and post a commentA>

>Keep Disciplineas stance on sex at GC2012

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (UMNS) a The churchas position on homosexuality is

balanced and biblical, writes the Rev. Keith Boyette, pastor at

Wilderness Community United Methodist Church in Spotsylvania, Va. It

aaffirms the asacred wortha of all persons, while acknowledging that as

Christians we cannot affirm every expression of human sexuality. There

are sexual practices that contradict biblical standards, and as

faithful disciples, we must be willing to declare them incompatible

>with Christian teaching.a

[26]Read full commentary and post a commentA>

UM board signs letter against religious profiling

WASHINGTON (UMNS) a The United Methodist Board of Church and Society

was one of 35 religious groups signing a congressional letter against

religious profiling. aWhen law enforcement profiles individuals and

communities based solely on their real or perceived religion, religious

appearance, religious observance, or religious practices, it undermines

Americansa trust in those sworn to protect them,a said the letter,

which was sent Tuesday to a Senate subcommittee holding a hearing on

>racial profiling.

>New missionary category created

NEW YORK (UMNS) a Young adults interested in collegiate ministry can

apply for short-term missionary assignments specializing in the field

thanks to a collaboration between the United Methodist Board of Global

Ministries and Board of Higher Education and Ministry. Young adults

between 20 to 30 serve in ministries of justice in the US-2 program or

as mission interns. Those on the new track will be called CM US-2s and

CM Mission Interns. For more information, contact Elizabeth Chun Hye

Lee, executive for Young Adult Mission Service, Board of Global

Ministries, (212) 870-3620, [27]Elee@gbgm-umc.org

>UMC.org covers General Conference

 From April 23 until May 8, the United Methodist denominational website,

[28]www.umc.org, will switch to full coverage of the 2012 General

Conference. Audiences will be redirected to the GC site,

[29]gc2012.umc.org. The General Conference is the denominationas top

legislative body, which meets every four years. General Conference 2012

will be held in Tampa, Fla. at the Tampa Convention Center April 24-May

>4.

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[30]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[31]Rethink Church

>[32]TechShop

>[33]EcuFilm

>[34]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[35]Interpreter Magazine

>[36]El' Interprete

>[37]United Methodists In Service

>[38]InfoServ

>[39]United Methodist News Service

>[40]UM Audio

>[41]UMTV

[42]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[43]United Methodist Communications International

>[44]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[45]Crisis Communications

>[46]Communications Training

>[47]Program Calendars

>[48]United Methodist Press Center

>[49]Scholarships

[50]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[51]United Methodist Productions

[52]http://umns.umc.org | [53]Privacy Policy | [54]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [55]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[56]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5659709915.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. http://www.umc.org/dailydigestarchives/

3.
http://www3.umcom.org/site/c.mrLZJ9PFKmG/b.3754251/k.6982/Whitelist_Instructions.htm

>4. http://umns.umc.org/subscribe

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#1

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#2

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#3

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#4

>9. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#5

>10. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#6

>11. file://localhost/tmp/tmpINMyds.html#7

12.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=6fKJKXOyFbJEINODG&s=fkIULeOWKjIZLgPUItG&m=duLUKaMKKbJQJhI

13.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=9sIPL6MKLeIKKXNQE&s=fkIULeOWKjIZLgPUItG&m=duLUKaMKKbJQJhI