UMNS Daily Digest - April 19, 2012 (Pan-Methodist, Council of Bishops, guaranteed appointment, Minis

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:03:52 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Thursday, April 19, 2012

>[2]Pan-Methodist vote set for GC2012

>[3]Bishops urged to bring peace to GC2012

>[4]aWhat ifa no guaranteed appointments?

>[5]Clergy proposals fall short

>[6]U.S. food aid policies must change

>[7]UMC.org covers General Conference

>[8]

>General Conference 2012A>

>[9]

>General Conference appA>

>[10]

>General Conference BlogsA>

>[11]

>Change the World 2012A>

>[12]

>Social Networks and FeedsA>

>[13]

>Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[14]Find us on Facebook

>[15]Twitter

>[16]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aI think the relationship among the Pan-Methodist churches exists

primarily to repair the breach that opened up over two centuries ago.

If full communion can represent a repair of that breach, all the

better.a a The Rev. Stephen J. Sidorak Jr., top executive, United

Methodist Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns.

>Pan-Methodist vote set for GC2012

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Delegates to the 2012 United Methodist General

Conference will be asked to affirm a new relationship with the African

Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion, African Union

Methodist Protestant, Christian Methodist Episcopal and Union American

Methodist Episcopal denominations. A celebration of Pan-Methodist full

communion will be at 4:30 p.m. May 1, a day also set aside for

recognition of United Methodist ecumenical partners.

>[17]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Bishops urged to bring peace to GC2012

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a United Methodist bishops on April 18 heard a

challenge to embody the peace of Christ to the 2012 General Conference,

to an anxious denomination and to the greater world. Charlotte (N.C.)

Area Bishop Larry M. Goodpaster delivered that call during his final

address to the Council of Bishops as that bodyas president. He said

more anxiety precedes this General Conference than any in recent

>history.

>[18]Read full story and post a commentA>

>aWhat ifa no guaranteed appointments?

EAGLE CREEK, Ore. (UMNS) a For too long, cabinets have had to struggle

to place each clergyperson in a congregation. All that could change if

the General Conference scraps the guaranteed appointment system, writes

the Rev. Laura Jaquith Bartlett, a pastor in the Oregon-Idaho Annual

(regional) conference. aWhat if we had a system in place to care for

>clergy who were no longer appointed?a

[19]Read full commentary and post a commentA>

>Clergy proposals fall short

WINCHESTER, Va. (UMNS) a The Rev. Daniel Garrett, interim co-lead

pastor at Braddock Street United Methodist Church in Winchester, Va.,

isnat finding General Conference proposals about clergy particularly

clarifying. aWithout a coherent understanding of ordination, the

proposal coming to the 2012 General Conference wants us to ordain

people at the entrance to a provisional process where, if they fail to

meet the requirements for full conference membership, they face the

prospect of something like being aunordained.aa

>[20]Read commentary and post a commentA>

>U.S. food aid policies must change

WASHINGTON (UMNS) a United Methodists and other members of the

Interfaith Working Group on Global Hunger and Food Security have sent

letters to congressional leaders, asking them to fundamentally change

U.S. food aid policies to lower costs, deliver disaster aid faster and

better help hungry people break out of poverty and aid dependence.

aFood shipped from the United States takes longer to arrive than food

purchased regionally,a reads part of the letter. aFor people facing a

famine or other crisis, additional waiting time for a food delivery can

>be a matter of life or death.a

>[21]Read moreA>

>UMC.org covers General Conference

 From April 23 until May 8, the United Methodist denominational website,

[22]www.umc.org, will switch to full coverage of the 2012 General

Conference. Audiences will be redirected to the GC site,

[23]gc2012.umc.org. The General Conference is the denominationas top

legislative body, which meets every four years. General Conference 2012

will be held in Tampa, Fla., at the Tampa Convention Center April

>24-May 4.

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[24]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[25]Rethink Church

>[26]TechShop

>[27]EcuFilm

>[28]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[29]Interpreter Magazine

>[30]El' Interprete

>[31]United Methodists In Service

>[32]InfoServ

>[33]United Methodist News Service

>[34]UM Audio

>[35]UMTV

[36]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[37]United Methodist Communications International

>[38]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[39]Crisis Communications

>[40]Communications Training

>[41]Program Calendars

>[42]United Methodist Press Center

>[43]Scholarships

[44]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[45]United Methodist Productions

[46]http://umns.umc.org | [47]Privacy Policy | [48]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [49]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[50]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5664664730.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpFz6Pke.html#6

8.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=clLVJgNVLnJ6LdO1F&s=fkIUKePWKjKZLgOUJtG&m=dkJUIfOWJhLUImJ

9.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=5oIHJVOtGgISJTNAH&s=fkIUKePWKjKZLgOUJtG&m=dkJUIfOWJhLUImJ