WCC appreciates GÃrmezâ views on protection of Christian minorities

From "World Council of Churches" <news@wcc-coe.org>
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:32:20 -0700

World Council of Churches - News
Contact: +41 79 507 6363; media@wcc-coe.org

WCC APPRECIATES GÃRMEZâ VIEWS ON PROTECTION OF CHRISTIAN MINORITIES

The World Council of Churches (WCC) has expressed great appreciation for recent
comments by Mehmet GÃrmez, head of the Religious Affairs Directorate in Turkey,
who sharply criticized the Fatwa (religious order) of Saudi Arabia's Grand
Mufti endorsing the destruction of churches, criticizing it as baseless and
against Islamic principles.

In his interview appearing in Today's Zaman on 14 April, GÃrmez said that
Muslim leaders in Islamic countries are responsible for the well-being of
non-Muslim minorities. He openly condemned the recent statement by the Grand
Mufti of Saudi Arabia, who reportedly called for the destruction of all
churches in the Gulf.

âSuch a statement has nothing to do with Islamâs fundamental sources, with the
agreements the prophet Muhammad signed with non-Muslim groups,â GÃrmez is
quoted as describing the statement as unacceptable, completely lacking any
validity in Islam.

âAll over the world, Muslims have started to live together with members of
other civilizations. Thatâs why we need to rediscover our long-standing culture
of living together,â he added.

The WCC general secretary Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit applauded GÃrmezâ stance of
promoting peaceful co-existence among religious communities.

âAs our member churches in Turkey have been advocating for the rights of
Christian minorities and interreligious cooperation in plural situation like
theirs, we appreciate GÃrmezâ stance of promoting peaceful co-existence,â said
Tveit.

He went on to say that âthe WCC has long been engaged in interreligious
dialogue, especially with Islam, and therefore endorses the condemnation of
justifying violence in the name of any religion.â

Tveit also called GÃrmezâ reference to the issue of the Halki Theological
School in Heybeliada, Istanbul a âhopeful signâ. The Halki Theological School
was closed in 1971, and has remained a major concern for the Ecumenical
Patriarchate, though theological education has been significant for the
Armenian Patriarchate as well.

WCC member churches in Turkey, including both the Greek and Armenian churches.

In his interview, GÃrmez said, âI believe it doesnât befit the grandiosity of
the civilization we built on this territory for Orthodox citizens to have to
send their children to Greece or for Armenian citizens to have to go to Armenia
to be educated as clergymen.â He stressed the need for a timely resolution of
the Halki Theological School issue.

In March 2010, the WCC general secretary visited the Ecumenical Patriarchate of
Constantinople and strongly advocated for the reopening of the Theological
School of Halki.

Read also:

Turkish foreign minister visits Ecumenical Patriarchate (WCC press release of 8
March 2012):
http://lists.wcc-coe.org/ct.html?rtr=on&s=jazjt,e7vo,usx,m26d,8hsb,ladi,6z1v

Churches advocate for religious minorities' rights in Turkey (WCC press release
of 8 December 2009):
http://lists.wcc-coe.org/ct.html?rtr=on&s=jazjt,e7vo,usx,55i9,cgzt,ladi,6z1v

WCC member churches in Turkey:
http://lists.wcc-coe.org/ct.html?rtr=on&s=jazjt,e7vo,usx,kenb,ib2j,ladi,6z1v

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness and
service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of churches
founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant, Orthodox,
Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million Christians in
over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church. The
WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit, from the [Lutheran] Church
of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org
World Council of Churches