UMNS Daily Digest - May 1, 2012 (Pan-Methodist, guaranteed appointment, United Methodist Women, nat

From "The United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 18:55:24 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Tuesday, May 1, 2012

[2]Celebration of Pan-Methodist full communion

>[3]GC2012 ends guaranteed appointments

>[4]UM Women becomes autonomous

[5]New national plan, worldwide covenant approved

>[6]Task force to probe Indian massacre

>[7]aPlan UMCa for agencies heading for debate

>[8]Breaking bread with the homeless

>[9]Bishop likens church to boat in storm

>[10]Eighteen GCs and counting

>[11]GC2012 Radio

>[12]May 1 wrap: Guaranteed appointments ended

>[13]General Conference 2012A>

>[14]General Conference appA>

>[15]General Conference BlogsA>

>[16]Digital LoungeA>

>[17]Change the World 2012A>

>[18]Imagine No MalariaA>

>[19]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[20]Find us on Facebook

>[21]Twitter

>[22]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

>(813) 574-4837 in Tampa, Fla. (through May 4)

aThis full communion gives us an opportunity to make our witness around

the world.a a Bishop John White, African Methodist Episcopal Church.

>Celebration of Pan-Methodist full communion

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a United Methodists celebrated a vote authorizing

full communion with five African-American Methodist denominations May 1

during the 2012 General Conference. aI believe the best for Methodism

is yet before us,a said Bishop John White of the African Methodist

>Episcopal Church.

>[23]Read full story and post a commentA>

>GC2012 ends guaranteed appointments

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a General Conference 2012 voted May 1 to end the

long-time system that guaranteed appointments for all eligible elders.

Perhaps most surprising: the sweeping action was part of a consent

calendar, which bundles together legislation to expedite business.

Reaction to the vote was swift, ranging from ashame on the General

>Conferencea to aitas about time.a

>[24]Read full story and post a commentA>

>UM Women becomes autonomous

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a For the first time in more than 70 years, the

United Methodist Women will be an autonomous organization within The

United Methodist Church. UMW leaders were elated by the May 1 vote at

>General Conference.

>[25]Read full storyA>

New national plan, worldwide covenant approved

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a As with a number of other items that were approved

without much notice in the morning plenary May 1, delegates to the 2012

General Conference voted for two pieces of legislation that further the

global ministry of The United Methodist Church. The Pacific Islander

Ministry Plan was approved on the consent calendar, making it the sixth

racial/ethnic ministry plan for the church. Through another consent

calendar item, delegates approved the Covenant for a Worldwide United

Methodist Church, a product of nearly eight years of study by the

Committee to Study the Worldwide Nature of The United Methodist Church.

>[26]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Task force to probe Indian massacre

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The United Methodist Church will form an

independent task force to aprovide full disclosurea of church members

involved in an 1864 massacre of 168 Cheyennes and Arapahoes in Sand

Creek, Colo. The attack was led by Col. John M. Chivington, a Methodist

clergyman, and approved by John Evans, territorial governor and a

>prominent Methodist layman.

>[27]Read full story and post a commentA>

>aPlan UMCa for agencies heading for debate

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a At this point, much of the talk in the halls of

General Conference is not about the Call to Action restructuring plan

or the alternative Plan B. The talk is of aPlan UMC,a a compromise

involving people who developed both proposals to reconfigure agencies.

>[28]Read full story and post a commentA>

>GC2012: Breaking bread with the homeless

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Delegates and guests at General Conference 2012

ate and sang with homeless people in downtown Tampa at noon on May Day.

The special occasion celebrated the churchas emphasis on Ministry with

>the Poor.

>[29]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Bishop likens church to boat in storm

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Inside a convention center only steps away from

the bay, the bishop from the Central Congo Area invoked the Gospel

account of Jesusa disciples thinking a storm would sink their boat.

Terrified, they cried out for Jesusa help. aToday we would say,

aMaster, we are losing members; we are disappearing from the map!aa

said Bishop David Yemba during the evening worship service on April 30.

>[30]View videoA>

>Eighteen GCs and counting

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Louise Short was given a standing ovation on May

1. Short, widow of Bishop Roy Short, is 106 years old and has been

attending General Conference since 1939, when Franklin Roosevelt was

president and Guy Lombardo recorded aAuld Lang Syne.a

>[31]Read full story and post a commentA>

>[32]View photosA>

>GC2012 Radio

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Today features a conversation with UMNS reporter

Kathy Gilbert on clergy reaction to the end of job guarantees for

elders. United Methodist Reporter managing editor Sam Hodges breaks

down "Plan UMC," the proposed restructure alternative that is expected

to be debated during the May 2 plenary. And more.

>[33]Listen to podcastA>

>May 1 wrap: Guaranteed appointments ended

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS)aDelegates voted to end guaranteed appointments for

clergy during General Conference business May 1. On a busy day,

delegates also voted to enter into full communion with Pan-Methodist

denominations, created a national plan for Pacific Islanders, approved

a separate agency for women, and created an annual conference for the

>East African country of Burundi.

>[34]Read full story and post a commentA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[35]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[36]Rethink Church

>[37]TechShop

>[38]EcuFilm

>[39]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[40]Interpreter Magazine

>[41]El' Interprete

>[42]United Methodists In Service

>[43]InfoServ

>[44]United Methodist News Service

>[45]UM Audio

>[46]UMTV

[47]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[48]United Methodist Communications International

>[49]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[50]Crisis Communications

>[51]Communications Training

>[52]Program Calendars

>[53]United Methodist Press Center

>[54]Scholarships

[55]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[56]United Methodist Productions

[57]http://umns.umc.org | [58]Privacy Policy | [59]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [60]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[61]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5698267649.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#6

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#7

>9. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#8

>10. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#9

>11. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#9

>12. file://localhost/tmp/tmpv8wyK8.html#10

13.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=bkLUIbMNLeJWLdN1E&s=9eKIJWOyEdJNJYOwEnF&m=8oLDKMPpF9LEKYJ

14.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=4dJGIQOlF7IIITMAH&s=9eKIJWOyEdJNJYOwEnF&m=8oLDKMPpF9LEKYJ