UMNS Daily Digest - May 7, 2012 (General Conference, Judicial Council, blogs, Twitter, Alan Morrison

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 15:29:30 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Monday, May 7, 2012

>[2]GC2012: Itas a wrap

>[3]Home alone

>[4]Boy Scout to GC2012: Be prepared

>[5]Bishop emphasizes making disciples

>[6]Go west, United Methodists

>[7]Stomping out malaria

>[8]General Conference 2012A>

>[9]General Conference appA>

>[10]General Conference BlogsA>

>[11]Digital LoungeA>

>[12]Change the World 2012A>

>[13]Imagine No MalariaA>

>[14]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[15]Find us on Facebook

>[16]Twitter

>[17]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aWe need time to consider what just happened.a a Bishop Jeremiah L.

>Park, New York Area.

>GC2012: Itas a wrap

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a From the opening worship service on April 24 to

the final amen on May 4, The United Methodist Churchas top legislative

body ended aguaranteed appointmentsa for clergy, said no to adding

another bishop, and voted to stay the course on the churchas highly

contested stand on homosexuality. The nearly 1,000 delegates from more

than 60 countries were stunned when the Judicial Council voided a plan

>to reorganize the denominationas bureaucracy.

>[18]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Home alone

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a One blogger writes of apostpartum depression.a A

tweeter admits to having PTSD. Even after they went home, clergy and

lay people were using the social media network provided by United

Methodist News Service and Methoblog.com to voice their kudos and their

>disappointments.

>[19]Join the conversationA>

>Boy Scout to GC2012: Be prepared

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Overseeing the logistics of General Conference can

be intimidating, but the Rev. Alan Morrison credits his Boy Scout

training, going back to when he planned a patrol camping trip at the

age of 11. The Boy Scout went on to become an Eagle Scout a and later

>the General Conference business manager.

>[20]Read his storyA>

>Bishop emphasizes making disciples

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Bishop Rosemarie Wenner, president of the Council

of Bishops, said one of the biggest accomplishments of General

Conference 2012 was learning better how to reach out and make

disciples. aLetas do what we are called to do, right there in local

churches,a said Wenner in a news conference May 4.

>[21]Listen to the news conferenceA>

>Go west, United Methodists

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a General Conference 2016 will be held in Portland,

Ore., where delegates can expect temperatures to be 10 to 20 degrees

cooler from Tampa. The site of the General Conference, held every four

years, has traditionally rotated among the churchas five geographic

U.S. jurisdictions. The last General Conference in the Western

>Jurisdiction was in Denver in 1996.

>Stomping out malaria

BATON ROUGE, La. (UMNS) a More than 2,000 people from eight cities hit

the pavement on April 21 to raise money for mosquito nets in

malaria-ravaged countries. The Louisiana Skeeter Run was sponsored by

the Louisiana Annual (regional) Conference as part of The United

Methodist Churchas Imagine No Malaria campaign. How serious is the

malaria epidemic? Every 60 seconds, someone dies from malaria.

>[22]See the storyA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[23]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[24]Rethink Church

>[25]TechShop

>[26]EcuFilm

>[27]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[28]Interpreter Magazine

>[29]El' Interprete

>[30]United Methodists In Service

>[31]InfoServ

>[32]United Methodist News Service

>[33]UM Audio

>[34]UMTV

[35]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[36]United Methodist Communications International

>[37]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[38]Crisis Communications

>[39]Communications Training

>[40]Program Calendars

>[41]United Methodist Press Center

>[42]Scholarships

[43]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[44]United Methodist Productions

[45]http://umns.umc.org | [46]Privacy Policy | [47]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [48]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[49]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5713837687.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmp1NJLI2.html#6

8.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=buLUIeMSLeJULaNYE&s=gvIWIhM0KkJ1KjOYKuF&m=9fJGJWPwFcJMJ2L

9.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=4dJGITOqF7IGIQMxD&s=gvIWIhM0KkJ1KjOYKuF&m=9fJGJWPwFcJMJ2L