Called into the world, ELCA young adults put their faith into action

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 9 May 2012 17:01:06 -0500

Title: Called into the world, ELCA young adults put their faith into action
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>May 9, 2012

Called into the world, ELCA young adults put their faith into action
12-29-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) - Two years ago Stephanie Berkas set out to Cape
Town, South Africa, to work in a Lutheran congregation and an elementary
school there. Having lived in Minnesota for the majority of her life, she
knew she would be stepping out of her comfort zone but did not anticipate
just how life-changing her experience would be.

"My experience in South Africa was formative in that I grew up as a
person, but it was transformative in that there was a death and
resurrection for me - part of my identity died but a new life" surfaced
before me, said Stephanie, who today is a first-year student at the
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, one of eight ELCA seminaries.

Berkas volunteered in South Africa as part of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) churchwide ministry for young adults
serving overseas. Participants, ranging in age from 19 to 29, are
appointed to serve in Argentina, Uruguay, Jerusalem and the West Bank,
Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Hungary, South Africa and the United
Kingdom. Service opportunities range from congregational ministries to
health and development, from education to social ministries.

More than 55 young adults will begin service in August 2012. They
will undergo orientation in Chicago and leave from here to their
respective destinations.

"While in South Africa, I was cared for, loved and given grace in a
way that I have never experienced," said Berkas.

"It's a unique opportunity that allows young adults to concretely
link their faith with action," according to the Rev. Heidi Torgerson-
Martinez, director of the program. "For almost all of our participants,
faith and action are inseparable."

The ELCA began this work in 1999 with 10 participants serving in the
United Kingdom. Nearly 400 young adults have participated in the ministry
since, said Torgerson-Martinez, adding that about 80 percent of these
young adults go on to graduate school. Of the 80 percent, 31 percent
entered seminary, while others have pursued graduate degrees in human
rights law, medicine and social work.

"The way the ELCA engages in global mission resonates with our young
adults," said Torgerson-Martinez, adding that young adults walk alongside
Lutheran global companions, learning and discovering together what God is
up to in the world today.

In addition to being a student at seminary, Berkas works for the
program, helping to envision and create an active alumni network.

"The relationships I've made and the hospitality I received was life-
changing," said Berkas. "I was a stranger when I arrived in South Africa,
but I left with new a sense of family."

More information is available at http://www.ELCA.org/yagm.

>---

About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.