New treasurer appointed for global Reformed church organization

From Martin_Gnanadason Daphne <Daphne.Martin_Gnanadason@wcrc.ch>
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 10:31:30 +0000

>World Communion of Reformed Churches
>News Release

New treasurer appointed for global Reformed church organization

The Executive Committee of the World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC)  has
named a new general treasurer. Johann Weusmann of the Evangelical Refor med
Church in Germany was appointed Saturday, 12 May during meetings curren tly
underway in Berastagi, Indonesia.

Weusmann assumes his role at a time in which WCRC is faced with financial c
hallenges.
“I am hoping that as General Treasurer – with the support of the Financ e
Committee, General Secretary and President – we will consolidate the or
ganization’s financial situation in the immediate future,” Weusmann say s.
In presenting Weusmann to Executive Committee members, WCRC General Secreta ry
Setri Nyomi noted that he has been instrumental in building stronger rel ations
between WCRC and German churches and agencies.
“Dr. Weusmann has understanding of WCRC finances and has raised the criti cal
questions that need to be raised at this time,” Nyomi says.
Weusmann, who serves as vice-president and church lawyer for the Evangelica l
Reformed Church in Germany, is one of the authors of WCRC’s constitutio n.
In an interview following his appointment, Weusmann says he accepted the ap
pointment because he believes the organization is badly needed in a time of
globalization that brings threats to economic justice and community peace
which far exceed the ability of any one church to address.
“I believe that national churches will have to work together across bound aries
for unity, justice and peace. WCRC and its predecessor organizations  have
played a big role in helping churches connect on these issues. I hope  that I
can do my part for the organization to be there in the future,” We usmann says.
The new General Treasurer will focus his attention in 2012-2013 on ensuring
member churches fulfill their obligation to contribute their fair share to  the
general budget. Weusmann notes he participated in the creation of a  “fair
share grid” detailing the level of contribution expected from eac h member
church in relation to its capacity to pay.
“I hope that if financial consolidation is successful, we can focus more  on
our mandate rather than on how to sustain ourselves,” Weusmann notes.  “I hope
in the coming years WCRC can continue to have its impact in the e cumenical
world and on our member churches so that they will benefit from i t.”
Weusmann replaces Gottfried Locher who resigned the position due to the bur den
of his commitments as President of the Federation of Swiss Protestant C
hurches. In noting Locher’s resignation, the Executive Committee noted it s
gratitude for his services.
Locher was appointed General Treasurer when WCRC was founded in 2010 at the
Uniting General Council in Grand Rapids, United States in a merger between  the
World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the Reformed Ecumenical Counci l.
WCRC’s constitution allows for the Executive Committee to select a succes sor
to the General Treasurer as needed in the periods between meetings of t he
organization’s senior decision making body, the General Council.
The Executive Committee concludes its meetings Wednesday, 16 May.
WCRC was created in June 2010 through a merger of the World Alliance of Ref
ormed Churches (WARC) and the Reformed Ecumenical Council (REC). Its 230 me
mber churches representing 80 million Christians are active worldwide in in
itiatives supporting economic, climate and gender justice, mission, and coo
peration among Christians of different traditions.