ELCA cultivates students' passion into action to help end malaria

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 00:43:58 -0500

Title: ELCA cultivates students' passion into action to help end malaria
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>May 18, 2012

ELCA cultivates students' passion into action to help end malaria
12-31-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Kelsey Nulph is a college student passionate about
joining the global fight against malaria, and she's not the only one.
Students from across the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
are coming up with creative ways to speak out against the disease, which
claims the life of a child every 45 seconds.

To help cultivate that passion into action, the ELCA Malaria
Campaign is awarding grants to ELCA campus ministries, colleges and
universities to equip and inspire students in their efforts.

"The child that dies every 45 seconds is not just a number or
statistic," according to Nulph, a student at Wartburg College in Waverly,
Iowa. "That child is our brother or sister in Christ. The ELCA's
commitment to (help) eradicate malaria is one that is exemplary of what
Jesus Christ calls us to do as his disciples."

Students at Wartburg "are extremely receptive to service and
educational opportunities," said Nulph. "Education will be key in all
that we do to bring attention to malaria -- what it is, how the disease
affects people and why it's important that we step up and eradicate it."

Malaria is a treatable and preventable disease. Working through
Lutheran churches in Africa, the ELCA Malaria Campaign is uniquely
positioned to provide mosquito nets, insecticides, medication, health
care, education and more to help eliminate deaths from this disease for
good.

To help support the campaign, students at Wartburg hope to raise
between $30,000 and $35,000. "I believe that we're in a position to
obtain our goal, regardless of the economy," said Nulph.

Students at ELCA colleges, universities and campus ministries
have "approached us with a stunning array of creative ideas for raising
money for the ELCA Malaria Campaign," said Jessica Nipp, coordinator for
the campaign.

"Next year, students will be playing flag football to help fight
malaria. They will be dancing, singing, watching movies and educating one
another to raise money. And, at the same time, they will be making
malaria history," said Nipp.

To date, the ELCA Malaria Campaign has awarded grants to nine ELCA
campus ministries, colleges and universities:
+ Augustana College in Sioux Falls, S.D.
+ California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
+ Christus Rex Lutheran Campus Ministry at University of North Dakota,
Grand Forks, N.D.
+ This Far By Faith Campus Ministry at Kennedy King College, Chicago
+ Lutheran Campus Ministry at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
+ Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
+ Luther College in Decorah, Iowa
+ Lutheran Campus Ministry at Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff,
Ariz.
+ Wartburg College

"We look forward to watching the (students') great plans become
reality," said Nipp, adding that some grant funding is still available.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, she said.

Information about the grants is available at http://www.ELCA.org/Our-
Faith-In-Action/Responding-to-the-World/ELCA-Malaria-Campaign/Malaria-
Resources/Grants.aspx, and information about the ELCA Malaria Campaign is
at http://www.ELCA.org/malaria.

>---

About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United
States, with 4.2 million members in 10,000 congregations across the 50
states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in
Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's
roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.