From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black College Fund

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 14 Jan 1997 15:56:22

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3374 notes).

Note 3374 by UMNS on Jan. 14, 1997 at 16:35 Eastern (3826 characters).

SEARCH: Capers, black college fund, education, exposure, United
Methodist
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Green                           20(10-31-71B){3374}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470             Jan. 14, 1997

Goal of new director is broader
exposure for Black College Fund

     NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- Finding ways to create more
exposure for the United Methodist Church's Black College Fund is a
priority for its new director.
     The Rev. Joreatha Capers, an ordained minister in the Florida
United Methodist Annual (regional) Conference, became associate
general secretary for the Black College Fund and Ethnic Concerns
at the churchwide Board of Higher Education and Ministry, here
Sept. 1.
     Since taking the fund's helm -- the lifeline for 11
historically black institutions of higher education --  Capers has
been in a mode of evaluation and exploration.
     Her desire, she said, is to increase the visibility of the
fund and black colleges by creating excitement about their
accomplishments. Her vision for the fund is centered around hope,
reconciliation and empowerment.
     "There is a lack of understanding about the significance of
black colleges and the Black College Fund," said Capers, a former
educator. "The average United Methodist is not cognizant of the
denomination's rich history in education."
     Black colleges are relevant today, Capers explained because
"the institutions not only help us to live out our Wesleyan
mandate to promote education, especially among the poor and
disenfranchised," but also counteract the prevalence of racism in
today's society. She said while many physical barriers of racism
are gone, racist attitudes still remain.
     Capers said black colleges are avenues where students can
receive support, a spiritual foundation and a quality education.
     If "Education: The Gift of Hope," a study document calling
for United Methodists to reclaim their Wesleyan heritage and
commitment both to public and private education, is used more
widely it could generate interest in the fund, according to
Capers.
     The study guide addresses the problems in education today and
recognizes that parents, churches, individuals and the total
community have a collective role in educating children.
     One way Capers wants to begin making more people aware of the
fund is to move information beyond the United Methodist Church to
the rest of society.
     "Our schools are not seen on television and are not getting
widespread exposure," she said. "Being embraced or lifted up by
the media often provides validation in the minds of many people."
     She said that greater awareness of the colleges'
accomplishments ultimately will lead to validation by the public
at large. This increased awareness will "lead United Methodists to
.. a sense of appreciation for this rich heritage."

     A calendar released this January features an institution each
month, and provides facts and the mission of each school. The
calendar is an "instrument that reflects our focus," she said. "It
is collectively promoting all 11 schools and provides a creative
approach to exposing the schools in a cooperative way while
appealing to the church at large for continued support."
     Other materials used to promote the fund and the colleges are
tee-shirts, videos, buttons and brochures.
     Capers also wants the fund and the colleges to focus on
strengthening the partnerships that already exist within the
church. "There are a lot of resources at our disposal," she said.
"And the more we can compliment each other, the more we can
accomplish."
                              #  #  #