From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Philadelphia Concert to Benefit NCCCUSA Burned Churches Project

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 06 Jan 1997 15:00:51

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact:  Herb Boyd, NCC, 212-870-2244

NCC1/6/97                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRIBUTE TO PHILADELPHIA TO BENEFIT BURNED CHURCHES

NEW YORK, Jan. 6---As part of its dynamic new
outlook, collective spirit and empowering attitude
the city of Philadelphia will be staging a "Tribute
to Philadelphia --Music & Awards Ceremony" at 3 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 12, at the CoreStates Center, Broad
Street at Pattison (near the airport).  Among the
stellar acts and artists scheduled to perform on two
stages are Pieces of A Dream, Roy Ayers, Chieli
Minucci, Philadanco II, Marion Meadows, Gerald
Veasley, John Blake, and the McFadden & Whitehead.
Honorees include: Dr. Emma Chappell, Boyz II Men,
Pattie LaBelle, Bill Cosby, Will Smith, Kenny
Gamble, Julius Erving and others.

"The purpose of the tribute," said Clinton
Bush, founder of Clinton Bush Entertainment and the
event's planner, "is to create a major celebration
for Philadelphia which serves as a bridge that
connects the past, present, and future, promotes
greater community understanding and unites all
cultures as we move into the 21st century."

The tribute is sponsored by the United Bank of
Philadelphia, and a portion of the proceeds will be
donated to the National Council of Churches Burned
Churches Fund and the Avenue of the Arts Project.

"We commend Clinton Bush Entertainment, along
with the city of Philadelphia, for their
extraordinary effort on behalf of the burned
churches across the country," said the Rev. Dr. Joan
Brown Campbell, NCC's General Secretary, in a letter
to Mayor Edward Rendell.  "On behalf of the Burned
Churches Fund, as well as the member communions of
the NCC, we stand ready to offer our assistance
toward the success of these events."

The NCC Burned Churches Project currently is
working with 124 houses of worship that have
suffered arson attacks since January 1990, to
document the circumstances of the attacks and to
help meet these congregations' rebuilding needs.
Most of them are African American churches in the
U.S. Southeast.  Racist motivation has been
established in the vast majority of these fires.

-end-
-0-