From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Souper Bowl" Organizers Are Gearing up For a Colossal Kick-off

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 13 Jan 1997 18:18:14

Jan. 26 13-January-1997

97022        "Souper Bowl" Organizers Are Gearing  up
                  For a Colossal Kick-off Jan. 26

                         by Julian Shipp

COLUMBIA, S.C.--Organizers at Spring Valley Presbyterian Church here are
gearing up for what promises to be a colossal Jan. kickoff of this year's
"Souper Bowl," a unique anti-hunger and anti-poverty ministry.

     "Our dream is to see people of faith unite in illustrating the good
that is possible when we move beyond ourselves and love God and neighbor in
this simplest of ways," said the Rev. Brad Smith, associate pastor of the
church.

     The Souper Bowl program was inspired by a pastoral prayer Smith
offered on Super Bowl Sunday in 1990. Young people invite parishioners to
drop one dollar into large soup cauldrons as they leave worship on the
morning of the National Football League's (NFL) championship game.
Participating churches phone in their total and then send funds directly to
the charity of their choice.

     "Souper Bowl" organizers neither touch the money nor tell people where
to direct their donations. They only ask for a phone report so that
national totals can be determined.

     As proof of the Souper Bowl's infectious success, Smith told the
Presbyterian News Service, several efforts are being conducted statewide,
coordinated by state ecumenical councils.  Additionally, public service
announcements are expected to air in two or three NFL cities and there is a
home page for surfers on the World Wide Web
(www.mindspring.com/~souperbowl).

     The Souper Bowl's ecumenical partnership has grown from 22 churches in
1990 to 4,600 in 1996.  Worshipers from 49 states gave more than $1.3
million this past year.  More than 1,200 PC(USA) churches from 46 different
states participated in last year's Souper Bowl.

      Presbyterian participation crisscrossed the country, ranging from
Dunn's Corner Presbyterian Church in Westerly, R.I., to First Presbyterian
Church of Garden Grove, Calif., to First Presbyterian Church in Wasilla,
Alaska, to Sunrise Presbyterian Church in Hialeah, Fla.

     According to Smith, Pennsylvania Presbyterians led the way with 126
churches participating, while South Carolina, North Carolina, New York,
Arizona, Florida, Texas, Ohio and Virginia each exceeded 50 churches.

     He said participating in the Souper Bowl is as easy as "A, B, C and
D":

     *    Announce the effort (after getting session permission), asking
          parishioners to give one dollar.
     *    Bowl. Young people receive the donations in large soup pots or
          bowls as folks file out of worship on Sunday, Jan. 26.
     *    Call 1-800-358-SOUP between noon and 9 p.m. ET on Super Bowl
          Sunday to report your total.
     *    Deliver (or mail) the funds directly to the soup kitchen, food
          bank or other charity of your choice. Youth groups are encouraged
          to spend a day serving at the recipient ministry.

     Smith said that although the event is a simple one, it represents a
significant effort to transform Super Bowl Sunday into an occasion of
"loving God ... and loving our neighbors."

     "We have seen a significant increase in participation and
contributions each year since we started," Smith said. "But we really would
like to get more congregations involved. It is such an easy way for all of
us to greatly impact our local communities and to collectively make a
difference across this country. I hope that more people will get involved
this year and help us top our $2 million goal."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073