From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Publishing Corporation Unveils New Resources

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Feb 1997 07:39:41

4-February-1997
97063

               Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
                      Unveils New Resources

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--As 1997 begins, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
(PPC) has unveiled a major new focus on congregational resources, offering
Presbyterian churches a wide variety of choices for use in their
educational ministries.

     The Rev. Robert W. Bohl of Prairie Village, Kan., former General
Assembly moderator and a PPC board member, praised PPC's commitment to
complement and enhance the education programs of the denomination's
churches.

     "For 35 years as a pastor, I have been an advocate of Christian
education, but in those years we have seen a continued decline of
participants in Sunday church school," Bohl said. "In the churches where I
have served, the request has always been for a variety of curriculum
materials. I am absolutely thrilled to know of a new congregational
curriculum resources designed to meet the needs of churches in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). These materials will be a rich supplement to
our denominationally produced curriculum resources."

     "The Whole People of God," an independently produced ecumenical
curriculum for all age groups which PPC has begun distributing, is
lectionary-based and worship centered. It has attracted a large number of
users in congregations in the United States, Canada, Australia and New
Zealand.  Currently, almost 600 PC(USA) churches use this curriculum.  PPC
announced  distribution and editorial partnerships with its producers late
last year.

     PPC has also played an editorial advisory role in the development of
new "Witness" materials.  PPC officials say "Witness," an ecumenical
curriculum for young children through the eighth grade produced by Augsburg
Fortress Publishers, has been a popular alternative for many Presbyterians
in recent years.

     PPC is offering several ecumenical curricula and study materials for
various age groups produced by Cokesbury and the United Methodist
Publishing House.  They include the "Bible People" series, "Life Search,"
"Adult Bible Studies," "Youth Search," "Bible Lessons for Youth" and "One
Room Sunday School."

     "Generation Why?" and "Fast Lane," which PPC officials say are widely
acclaimed as some of the finest ecumenical youth materials being produced
anywhere, are now available through PPC for senior high, junior high, and
middle school youth.  Short-term studies from the same publishers --
Brethren Press and Faith and Life Press -- include "Who's In Who's Out?"
"Morphed," "Understanding Gangs," and other topics.  PPC has both
distribution and developmental consulting contracts with the publishers of
these materials.

quality, demanding and comprehensive Bible studies for use beyond the
church school hour, PPC is now marketing "Kerygma" and "Disciple."

     "Kerygma" has been developed over the years by a group of
Presbyterians. According to PPC officials, the studies are "sophisticated,
results-oriented resources for adults to use during the week or to adapt
for church school use."  Three foundation and introductory courses are
offered. Electives include studies which relate the Bible to such other
media as Handel's "Messiah" and Brahms' "Requiem."

     "Disciple" offers several 34-week studies of the Bible for both adults
and youth. It features several days of training for leaders, study guides,
video tapes, and supporting  resources.  These studies have been developed
by the United Methodist Publishing House.

     "We're excited about working with a variety of highly respected
religious publishers," said Davis Perkins, PPC president and publisher.
"Each publisher has goals similar to ours, and offers extraordinarily
high-quality materials. The ecumenical curricula and Bible studies we're
offering already enhance Presbyterian values and beliefs, and in most cases
PPC will also provide Presbyterian editorial consultation for future
resource development."

     Further information about these and other PPC resources is available
from PPC's customer service staff at (800) 227-2872.

(Information for this story was supplied by Douglas A. Deatz, PPC's vice
president for congregational resources.)

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073