From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Family And Single Adult Ministries Team Lays Groundwork For Its

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 03 Feb 1997 10:59:02

Future 31-January-1997
97044

                Family And Single Adult Ministries
               Team Lays Groundwork For Its Future

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Faced with laying the groundwork for its future, the
Family and Single Adult Ministries Team met here Jan. 10 to explore ways to
strengthen family and single adult ministry throughout the denomination
within the limitations of personnel and financial resources.

     Convened by the Rev. Marvin Simmers, coordinator of the Pastor,
Educator and Lay Leader Support Program Team in the Congregational
Ministries Division (CMD), the group also devoted a full day to getting
acquainted with one another, sharing perceptions of the task assigned to
them and focusing their vision for the work of the team.

     According to Simmers, the meeting marked the first time all of the
CMD's family and single adult ministry agencies plus the Presbyterian
Mariners gathered to jointly examine the church's family ministry programs
and issues. Undertaking what Simmers described as "a big task before us,"
the group prayerfully went to work.

     By meeting's end, the following long- and short-term goals and
priorities had been determined:

     *    to prepare a new mission statement and study guide
     *    to create a family ministry Web page for Internet surfers and
          explore other electronic communication resources
     *    to conduct research on families in cooperation with the Advisory
          Committee on Social Witness Policy and other agencies
     *    to develop intergenerational resources
     *    to explore thematic approaches for developing resources.

     In addition to Simmers, team members include Miriam Dunson, associate
for older adult leader development; Larry and Carolyn Gabbard, together
national executive secretary of Presbyterian Mariners, an independent,
congregation-based family ministry program headquartered in Arvada, Colo.;
Ralph and Bettye Irwin, together national skipper of Presbyterian Mariners;
the Rev. Curtis A. Miller, associate for men's ministry; Martha Pillow,
associate for young children curriculum development; Belinda Curry,
Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy associate for policy
development and interpretation; Beth Basham, associate for youth
curriculum; the Rev. Anne M. Jones, associate for the synods of  Lincoln
Trails, Mid-America and Alaska-Northwest; the Rev. Peter Vial, pastor of
Beechmont Presbyterian Church in Louisville, Ky., and Debby Vial, associate
for peacemaking partnerships.

      Larry and Carolyn Gabbard described the meeting as "encouraging." A
report of the meeting was presented during the Mariners' national board
meeting Jan. 16-18 in San Diego.

     "I think in general we were very pleased with the meeting at
Louisville," Larry Gabbard told the Presbyterian News Service. "In fact, we
were surprised that there were so many organizations that were able to lay
something on the table that they were doing for family ministries. I
believe we're off to a good start."

     Carolyn Gabbard said that during their meeting in San Diego the
objectives of the Family and Single Adult Ministries Team were discussed
and some of them were incorporated into the Mariners' long-range planning
goals -- particularly the need for continued dynamism through communication
between the CMD's family ministry agencies and others.

     "[The Mariners' national board members] were really glad to know the
Family and Single Adult Ministries Team is making an intentional effort
about communication within the team and with other people," Carolyn Gabbard
said. "One of the comments that our executive board made was to be certain
that we are focusing on communications so that our work doesn't lag between
meeting times. They see a lot of possibility for working within this team
for future themes coming up for Mariners."

     "I thought the meeting was very positive and encouraging," Jones said.
"I think it's exciting when people join together in a team effort and in
conversation with different areas of the church."

     The Rev. Peter Vial said Simmers asked him to serve on the team. As a
church pastor, Vial said, he can provide the team with additional
perspectives from the larger denomination as well as current needs and
trends from his congregation.

     "We don't have a public [Family and Single Adult Ministries Team]
meeting yet on PresbyNet [the denomination's computer communication
network], but that's in the plans," Vial said.

     During the meeting, determinations were also made as to how the team
will coordinate and cooperate with partners, maintain contact and effective
communication among team members and track progress on tasks assumed by the
team. Future meeting times and locations were also decided.

      History of events leading to the formation of the team

     Last July, the 208th General Assembly (1996) authorized the
elimination of the CMD's family and single adult ministries staff position.
This action in effect severed a financial agreement between the
Presbyterian Mariners and the CMD, under which the Mariners paid a portion
of the salary of the Rev. C. Raymond Trout, who held the staff position.

     The Assembly called for continuing support for family and single adult
ministries but did not authorize funding. A revised covenant agreement
between the CMD and the Mariners has been approved and ongoing dialogue
among the division and its related groups culminated in the formation of
the Family and Single Adult Ministries Team.

     During a meeting last Nov. 13-16 at Montreat, N.C., the CMD
prioritized its mission programs and balanced its 1998 budget by cutting
$465,000 from its portion of unified or unrestricted funding.  According to
CMD officials, that figure represents the division's relative percentage of
the overall decline in unrestricted giving.

     Although the CMD balanced its budget without eliminating any of its 29
mission programs or staff, the division's prioritization process left
family and single adult ministries ranked near the bottom of the list.

     Even so, Simmers said he believes setting achievable and practical
priorities for the work of the team is the best course of action for now
and the future.

     "I'd like for us to be in a position of already actively working
together on the assumption that we'll have money [in the future] even if at
this time we don't," Simmers said.

     Echoing this optimism, Trout wrote in his final column in last
December's edition of  "The Presbyterian Mariner" newsletter, "I cannot
predict what the future will bring, but I have the audacity to believe that
the unknown is as ripe with possibility as creation is filled with the
endless love of God."

     The team's next meeting is June 21-22 in Syracuse, N.Y., immediately
following the General Assembly meeting.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073