From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Nishioka Named APCE Educator of the Year

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Feb 1997 07:56:36

6-February-1997
97070

             Nishioka Named APCE Educator of the Year

                         by Julian Shipp

SAN DIEGO, Calif.--Rodger Nishioka, Association of Presbyterian Church
Educators (APCE) Educator of the Year, believes that when God is at God's
very best, "junior highers" are the result.

     "I discovered this profound theological truth when I was teaching at
Curtis Junior High School in Tacoma, Wash.," Nishioka said. "I love the
energy, compassion, and resilience of early adolescents.  I very much see
God in and through them."

     Nishioka was born in Honolulu and grew up in Seattle in the Japanese
Presbyterian Church where his father serves as pastor. "Those were
formulative years for me," Nishioka said. "Kind and gracious folks conveyed
the love of Jesus Christ to me in a distinctly Japanese-American setting.
I'm profoundly grateful."

     After teaching in public school, Nishioka was called to serve as the
associate for youth ministry in the Atlanta offices of the former
Presbyterian Church in the United States (PCUS). "I call it my
 Jonah routine' when folks ask how I got this job," he said. "I was
reluctant and not at all sure that God was calling me to come work for the
General Assembly. But my parents were supportive as were some key friends
from around the denomination and Robert Miller, then the director of the
National Ministries Division, was persistent and persuasive."

     In his 10 years of working for the General Assembly, Nishioka has
served as staff for the Presbyterian Youth Triennium, the annual Continuing
Education Event for Youth Ministry Professionals, the National Presbyterian
Youth Council and the Montreat Youth Conferences.  He travels frequently,
leading workshops and keynoting youth events across the church.

     Nishioka has also written and edited Presbyterian youth resources. His
major accomplishment has been helping launch the Presbyterian Youth
Connection, the church's new initiative in youth ministry.

     "It's so exciting," Nishioka said. "The responses from the
congregations large and small have been phenomenal."

     In January, Nishioka assumed a new role with the General Assembly as
coordinator of youth and young adult ministries. "Our congregations are
filled with wonderful and faithful folks," Nishioka said.  "But if we look
around, the one age group that is not with us is young adults, people in
their 20s and 30s.  This new initiative is very exciting. We need to
understand how we can attract and support young adults in our
congregations."

     Plans for this year include developing an initial resource for young
adult ministry, a major new research project to deal with young adults who
have left Presbyterian congregations, and the developing of a spiritual
retreat model for young adults.

     Nishioka is also studying full-time at McCormick Theological Seminary
in Chicago for a Master's Degree in Theological Studies. He plans to pursue
a Ph.D. in religious education and hopes to serve in a Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) seminary as professor of Christian education.

     "It's been an amazing journey," Nishioka said. "I am profoundly
grateful to so many for their kindness and witness to me of Jesus Christ, I
am so enthusiastic about what is ahead. God has great things in store for
us. I am convinced of it."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073