From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay Cleric Denounces Proposed Alabama Law On Same-Sex Marriage

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 01 Jun 1997 16:51:47

For Additional Information Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com

Website: http://www.ufmcc.com

Internationally Recognized Gay Cleric
Denounces Proposed Alabama Law
Promises Mass Same-Sex Wedding At State Capitol

Law Would Fine Clerics Who Perform Same-Sex Marriage Rites
(Bill Passes Subcommittee; Dies in Alabama Senate; Expected To Be
Reintroduced)

Los Angeles -- A proposed law before the Alabama state legislature has
kindled the ire of an internationally known gay religious leader.

The Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), the largest religious organization
with a primary ministry to the gay and lesbian community, today condemned the
"unconstitutional religious bigotry" of S.B. 1, a bill that has come before
the Alabama State Senate in each of the last two sessions.

The bill provides a $1000 fine for any clergyperson who officiates at a
wedding for a same-sex couple.

"Let me be very clear," said the Rev. Mr. Perry. "The day any such bill
passes the Alabama legislature, I will be on a plane for Montgomery where I
will invite all of our UFMCC pastors, as well as enlightened clergy from any
other faith community, to join me on the steps of the Alabama Capitol for the
largest mass wedding for the gay community ever seen in Alabama."

Perry spent part of his childhood in Alabama and attended junior high and
high school in Mobile.  "A formative part of my life was spent in Alabama,"
he noted. In 1968, Perry began Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles
with 12 worshipers. Today, UFMCC has grown to more than 42,000 members in 300
congregations in 19 countries.

The denomination currently has congregations in Birmingham, Huntsville,
Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa.

"The members of UFMCC stand in solidarity with the gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered communities of Alabama," said an impassioned Perry. "I find
myself amazed that an elected official who is sworn to uphold the
Constitution would endorse and introduce legislation that so obviously
violates the constitutional separation of church and state, and which
curtails the free exercise of religion." The bill is sponsored by Senator
Roger Bedford.

"Holy Union and Holy Marriage are rites and sacraments of all UFMCC
congregations," said Perry. "I will serve time in jail before I will allow
the government to dictate our religious practices.

"Let me make one other thing clear: I will never pay so much as one penny in
fines to any government as penalty for the our right to perform same-sex
marriages."

A frequent international speaker at churches, universities, and conferences,
Perry has appeared on C-SPAN, 60 Minutes, Phil Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom
Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.  UFMCC's story has appeared in virtually
every international news magazine.  Perry is the recipient of awards from the
American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights Campaign, and the Gay Press
Association.

The proposed legislation earlier passed an Alabama House subcommittee as well
as the full House. In the last session, this legislation was introduced in
the State Senate. "I am prayerful that the current legislative recess will
allow reason to prevail and that this bill will fail. We are watching. If it
comes back up for action, or comes back in another form, we will be ready to
respond.

"The struggle of same-sex marriage recognition is a matter of simple
justice," Perry said. "We do not seek special rights, only equal rights. We
believe that the rights of marriage should be open to all citizens as an
expression of love, fidelity and commitment."

(E N D)

For Additional Information Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680