From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PPC Presents Strong Financial Report

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:52:28

June 15, 1997

GA97002            PUBLISHING CORPORATION PRESENTS
                  STRONG FINANCIAL REPORT TO COUNCIL

SYRACUSE--The Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC) presented a strong
financial report here June 12 during the General Assembly Council (GAC)
meeting.
    Price H. Gwynn, III, PPC board chair of Charlotte, N.C., said the
corporation is "healthy" and markedly different from the summer of 1994
which he described as PPC's "darkest hour."
    "We were close to collapse," Gwynn recalled. "Bankruptcy was a real
possibility. We had $2.3 million in long-term debt, $500,000 borrowed on a
seasonal term loan that had to be repaid by December 31 of that year. And
our only source of revenue, sales, were substantially below forecast and
projection. Expenses were out of control. We were 60 days behind in paying
our own suppliers and they were beginning to make ugly noises."
    Additionally, Gwynn said, employee morale ranged from grim to hopeless.
He said he told the PPC board members at that time that in his professional
opinion, PPC had a 50/50 chance of survival.
    However, as of June 1997, Gwynn said the $2.3 million loan has been
retired and the $500,000 term loan has been paid off.  Gwynn said sales are
"satisfactory, expenses are predictable and under control, all accounts are
current and vendors are once again seeking PPC's business."
    "We have $3.8 million in the bank," Gwynn said. "And employee morale is
good provided you are a survivor. Of the 175 employees we inherited, 26 are
still there out of a total workforce today of 58."
    Gwynn credited Davis Perkins, PPC president and publisher, for the
corporation's rapid turnaround.
    Based in Louisville,  PPC publishes books -- under the Westminster/John
Knox Press and Geneva Imprints -- and other theological, educational and
worship resources for Presbyterians, as well as non-Presbyterian Christian
education curriculum as an alternative to denomination-specific curricula
published by the church.

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>