From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

OFFCENTER AT THE ONCENTER

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:56:33

16-June-1997
GA97042

                      OFFCENTER AT THE ONCENTER

SYRACUSE--The somewhat rustic conditions in some of the rooms at the Hotel
Syracuse remind Offcenter of an incident at the Ramada Hotel in Wichita
(for those who remember way back to the 206th).  An "Out of Order" sign on
a bathroom facility in that hotel had been delightfully altered by some
Presbyterian who scrawled in the additional words "Decently and".

                                 # # #

    In the Committee on Relationships with Presbyterian Organization's open
hearing Sunday afternoon, the Rev. Tim Hart-Anderson of San Francisco was
testifying and confessed that as a commissioner last year (Offcenter
remembers Albuquerque, do you?) he made the motion that resulted in the
formation of the committee.  Quipped committee chair Claudette Zobel:
"We're glad to meet our maker!"  Tim only asked that the minutes include a
small "m" -- false modesty if Offcenter ever heard it (just kidding, Tim,
honest).

                                 # # #

    A sobering thought amidst this irreverence: A commish told Offcenter
that she has been feeling somewhat uncomfortable about the Assembly theme:
"Have salt within you."  She finally figured it out: "I have high blood
pressure and having salt within me is not a good idea."

                                 # # #

    Offcenter nominates Sunday's budget orientation video for an Academy
Award!  The morphing of George Washington into John Calvin on the dollar
bill was sheer artistic genius.  Another Offcenter hint: if you want to
thank SOMEBODY, start with Frank Diaz (the instigator), A.J. Johnson of
Media Services (the concept) and Gary Luhr of the Office of Communication
(the scriptwriter).

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>