From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

George Hunt Receives "Presbyterian Outlook" Award

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:52:29

15-June-1997
GA97020

             George Hunt Receives "Presbyterian Outlook" Award

                             by Van Marter

SYRACUSE--"The Presbyterian Outlook" honored one of its own Saturday night
when former editor George Laird Hunt was given the independent Presbyterian
magazine's Ernest Trice Thompson Award.

    A sell-out crowd of more than 600 at the annual Outlook Dinner heard
current editor Robert Bullock call Hunt, who edited the magazine from 1976
to1988, "a model former editor -- a colleague, friend, occasional
contributor and one who offers ideas often but not too often."

    Hunt said receiving the award "is one of the great honors of my life
for two reasons: first is my great admiration for E.T. Thompson and second
is that my time with "The Presbyterian Outlook" was the most enjoyable and
meaningful of my career."  Hunt and his wife, Mary Alice, currently live in
Lakeland, Fla.

    Hunt described Thompson, who was the founder of "The Presbyterian
Outlook" and the chairman of its board of directors and co-editor for
nearly 60 years, as "a tireless progressive voice in the Presbyterian
Church."  Hunt said Thompson "imbued the magazine with his gracious and
courageous spirit, forging the Outlook into "a truly independent journal --
relying solely on its readers for support."

    Hunt has served the Presbyterian Church as a pastor in Delaware,
Pennsylvania and New Jersey; as an educator on the staff of the Board of
Christian Education; as an historian, moderating the Committee for the
Presbyterian Historical Society and contributing to Lefferts Loetscher's "A
Brief History of the Presbyterians"; and as an ecumenist, serving as the
first executive secretary of the Consultation on Church Union.

At the dinner, Bullock also introduced his new associate editor,
veteran Presbyterian journalist John D. Sniffen.  Sniffen was most recently
director of communications for the Synod of the Mid-Atlantic and editor of
the synod's newspaper, "The Mid-Atlantic Presbyterian."  He joins the
Outlook staff July six.
Jerry Van Marter

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>