From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator disarms press

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:53:16

June 15, 1997

GA97016                 Moderator Disarms Press

SYRACUSE--Moderator Patricia G. Brown came  down the back stairs at the
Convention Center to the first official gathering after her election: a
Saturday night press conference, and handled it with clarity and aplomb.

    An overflow group of news people from church and secular press found
her with controlled excitement and quiet confidence as she faces her week
in Syracuse and her year on the road for the Presbyterian Church USA.

    When asked her priorities for the year, she stated them firmly:
Multiculturalism, practicing fellowship to lead to spiritual discernment in
order to be a connectional church." A second question was similar: what
would she like to say to the church she is to serve?   That we are family,
brothers and sisters, God has put us together and we're going to have to
behave!" There was enough maternal accent on the word  behave" to draw a
follow up question: "What does 'behave' mean?" The reply was quick: "We are
blood brothers and sisters, we all take communion, we need to act like
that."

    She had won votes with a mock-threat to the commissioners:  If you
don't want to work, don't elect me," so she was asked to spell that out as
to what that meant: "The main thing has to be the main thing," she replied,
indicating that extraneous matters would not be allowed to impede the
Assembly's process.

    When asked to critique the long and stressful day required of
moderatorial candidates, she was not demanding, had no changes to offer.
In fact, she reported, she had enjoyed the whole day -- so that when she
came to answering the questions posed to candidates by commissioners, she
was ready to enjoy it: "I found I really like those people."

    Moderator Brown seemed to have carried over that same attitude to the
press conference, whose reporters seemed disarmed by her engaging
directness. None of the questions were hostile or had sharp edges; after a
very few minutes her proud family was brought into the room for pictures,
and shortly thereafter they left for the next engagement in a busy evening.

Houston Hodges

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>