From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Syracuse Church, Brooklyn Pastor Win Awards

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:53:16

15-June-1997
GA97019

         Syracuse Church, Brooklyn Pastor Win Witherspoon Awards

                         by Jerry Van Marter

SYRACUSE--Ten years ago, Syracuse's South Presbyterian Church was,
according to pastor William L. Coop, "a grand old dame who had it -- it
looked like a goner."

    Then Al Sunderworth was called as pastor and South Church rediscovered
its neighborhood.  And on Sunday, Bill Coop, who credits Sunderworth for
the turnaround, and 34 members of South Church received the Witherspoon
Society's Congregation Award for its justice-oriented ministry here.

    The ministry of South Church is multi-faceted -- feeding programs,
tutoring programs, a housing corporation that is rehabilitating a
three-block stretch of the neighborhood.  A former "Hispanic mission" of
the church has been disbanded so the congregation can become bilingual and
multicultural, with Sunday services divided between English and Spanish and
simultaneously translated for all participants.

    Also at the Witherspoon Society Luncheon, the Rev. David Dyson, pastor
of Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn, N.Y., and co-founder
of the National Labor Committee and the People of Faith Network, received
the society's Andrew Murray Award.

    Dyson described his organization's purposes as "raising moral issues in
a jaded society."  He said, "There is no reason why the church can't lift
people up instead of holding them down."  His organizations have been
created, he said, because "we have been told that without a vision the
people perish, but without a vehicle the vision has no wheels."

    Two trends are beginning to sink in with the American people, Dyson
said -- the gap between the rich and the poor and the exploitation of
foreign labor.  And so People of Faith have taken on GAP stores, Kathie Lee
Gifford and the Disney Corporation, pressuring them into changing their
overseas manufacturing practices.  The group has also challenged domestic
policy-makers, forcing New York mayor Rudolph Guiliani, for example, to
modify some of his welfare-reform proposals.

    "If we don't take leadership on some of these issues, I don't know who
we expect to," Dyson explained.  "It's the gospel."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>