From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lundy urges Women and Men to Work for Reform

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:56:33

17-June-97
GA97047

             Lundy Urges Women and Men To Work for Reform

                   by Joanne Hines

SYRACUSE--June 16, l997 was homecoming day for Mary Ann Lundy.  Having been
introduced as "one who pushed us over the top," members and friends of the
Voices of Sophia gave her an enthusiastic welcome after a two year absence.

    Lundy, former staff member of the General Assembly Council spoke to
some 400 people gathered for an early breakfast meeting.  Now deputy
general secretary of the World Council of Churches and living in Geneva,
Switzerland,  this was clearly an emotional homecoming for her.

    Speaking to the theme, "Hanging in There," Lundy cited the many
thoughts and feelings that she dealt with after leaving her General
Assembly position following her participation in the planning of the
Re-Imagining Conference in 1995.  In answer to the many questions about
whether or not she would stay in the Presbyterian church she replied  that
she finally decided, "This is still my church home - it's my family, for
better or for worse!", she urged those present to  use their  courage and
energy to reform the church to become inclusive and to continually ask
"who's missing" when we gather as a family of faith. She urged all women
and men present to stay in the family and work for inclusion of the
marginalized and polarized segments of the church.

    Lundy works with global networks for women's programs through the World
Council of Churches,  and is set to travel through Europe addressing
hunger, Vatican relations and the conference of European Churches.   She
cites that women the world over are committed to forming community and
addressing common concerns and issues as they work for solidarity.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>