From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church is the Nest Where Fledglings are Nurtured, Not Stung

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 19:58:59

17-June-1997
GA97052

                  Church Is the Nest Where Fledglings
                       Are Nurtured, Not Stung

                           by Midge Mack

SYRACUSE--The Rev. Linda Loving, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of
Oakland, CA would have delivered a loving sermon no matter what her name
had been --- because she was speaking of the second Great End of the
Church: "The Shelter, Nurture and Spiritual Fellowship of the Children of
God."

   Under the wings of the great soaring dove hung over the podium of the
Crouse-Hinds Theater, she chose the nest as metaphor for  the home, for our
human relationship with God, and for the church.

    "God is our mother eagle," she said, "and we are the baby birds
yearning for nurture, along with our nestlings, the spiritual fellowship of
the children of God."

    Continuing the metaphor, Loving compared the church's past year with
the stormy first season of a young bird's life. "We're all out on a limb
now, wondering who's left in the nest, who's flown away, whose wings are
clipped... until we remember God's covenant expressed in Psalm 91, to bear
us up on eagle's wings."

    She reminded us that Jesus' life had only one aim: to show us God's
unlimited love, and she told a story of a young mother who knew the church
would provide that love. This mother had left her child in the church
nursery in the middle of a service and quickly left without giving the
attendant any information. When she failed to return at the end of the
worship hour, the church people became very concerned and finally called
police.

    But the woman did return, explaining that she had to get to a job
interview, had no place to leave the child, and "I left her in the safest
place I knew."

    The loving nature of God was further expressed through the music of Dan
Duggan on the hammered dulcimer, the Women's Chorus of Park Central
Presbyterian Church, the testimony of Biblical characters portrayed by
members of the Presbyterian churches of Geneva and Seneca Falls, and the
Joyful Sign Choir, a deaf ministry of the United Church of Fayetteville.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>