From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator Names Sibery Vice Moderator

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 20:01:15

16-June-1997
GA97034

     Moderator Names Sibery Vice Moderator in Bold Move for Unity

                           by Bill Lancaster

SYRACUSE--In a bold move to establish a theme of unity and healing in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), 209th General Assembly Moderator Patricia G.
(Pat) Brown appointed D.  Eugene (Gene) Sibery, another candidate for the
office of moderator, as vice moderator.

    "I have called this press conference in order to announce to the church
that people of different viewpoints can work together," Brown said.

    "I have called this press conference to demonstrate that as
Presbyterians `to believe is to do.'"

    "We can and will remain united in our witness for Jesus Christ in the
United States.  As Gene participates in the work of this office, it is our
hope that this image of leadership and teamwork will serve as the model
across the denomination, in the congregation, synod and the presbytery,"
she said.

    Sibery said, "This is a great moment in my life, and I hope a great
moment for the church.  I was very honored when the moderator asked me to
be vice moderator of this General Assembly and to work with her this year.
I think we both have the same concern, to do what is best for the Church of
Jesus Christ and for the Presbyterian Church which is such an important
part of that.

    "I pledge to her and to you that I will work for peace and unity within
our church and that I will do everything humanly possible to bring
reconciliation where there are those with differing views.  I will respect
her role as moderator and assist in every way possible.  Pat, I'm proud of
you as our moderator, and I am pleased that you've given me this
opportunity to be your vice moderator."

said, "when you have the same goal of doing what is best for the church,
it's going to be easy to work together.  I do not feel that I will have a
meaningless role, I think it will be a very meaningful role, she's assured
me of that.  I think it will be good for the church.  If we were exactly
the same, she wouldn't need me."

really would prefer that we not talk about they way we are different, but
the way we are the same in respect for the church.  I think the church
needs to hear that even though there may be some nuances around matters of
sexual orientation, there may be nuances around abortion, that the fact of
the matter is that the center of the church is Jesus Christ.  The whole
point is fellowship.  We are a family, and even though we may not agree
with our brothers and sisters, we still love each other."

    Brown said their relationship was not a matter of compromise, but a
matter of "where our skills and talents will compliment each other."

    Asked if she had considered the other candidate for moderator (Louis
Zbinden), Brown said she had not because Sibery "has shown more grace, has
shown more sincerity  and more love than you can imagine.  And that's what
I want to work with."

    Asked about the fact that both moderator and vice moderator are lay
persons, Brown that in instances where they need a minister, they might
call on the moderator of the 208th Assembly, John Buchanan.

    They have not worked directly together before, though Brown has been on
the General Assembly Council (GAC) and Sibery has reported to GAC as chair
of the Board of Pensions.

    Asked when she had conceived the idea to ask Sibery, Brown said, "I
believe that God told me on Saturday night--I'll put it that way.  Gene's
name came into my head, and I thought, oh, that is a perfect idea.  And,
fortunately, Gene agreed."

    Brown said she could envision Sibery working in some areas where she
may not be able to be or may not have the same kind of skills that he has.
Sibery said he thought Brown would be astute enough to know when to call on
him and where he could be of greatest service.  He said he would not try to
carve out any niche for himself.

    Asked if he saw himself as an ambassador to more conservative groups,
he said he thought he could be an ambassador to anyone in the church.  And
Brown said they might do completely the opposite to help foster
understanding of how others think.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>