From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committee Proposes Change to "Fidelity and Chastity" Wording

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 18 Jun 1997 20:02:29

17-June-1997
GA97056

              Committee Proposes Amendment to Significantly
                 Change "Fidelity And Chastity" Wording

                          by Jerry Van Marter

SYRACUSE--In a stunning move today, the Assembly Committee on the "Book of
Order" recommended an amendment that would significantly alter G-6.0106b,
the commonly-called Amendment B.  The committee vote was 39-9.

    If the General Assembly approves the recommendation, an amendment to
the "Book of Order" will be sent to the presbyteries that:

    * requires church officers to "lead a life in obedience to Jesus Christ
under the authority of scripture" rather than "in obedience to scripture;"

    * requires that they be "instructed by the historic confessional
standards of the church"  rather than "in conformity" to them;

    * requires that they "demonstrate fidelity and integrity in marriage or
singleness, and in all relationships of life" rather than living "in
fidelity within the covenant of marriage...or chastity in singleness;"

    * states that "candidates for ordained office shall acknowledge their
own sinfulness, their need for repentance, and their reliance on the grace
and mercy of God to fulfill the duties of their office" rather than
demanding that "persons refusing to repent of any self-acknowledged
practice which the confessions call sin shall not be ordained and/or
installed" as church officers.

    The Rev. Laurie Kraus of Tropical Florida Presbytery introduced the
proposed amendment as the committee's response to Overture 97-10 from
Kiskiminetas Presbytery.  The presbytery had merely sought to remove the
"everything the confessions call sin" sentence from Amendment B.  The
amendment was ratified by the presbyteries, 97-74 with one "no action." It
becomes G-6.0106b of the "Book of Order" at the conclusion of this
Assembly.

    Kraus said her proposed amendment "was borne of conversations with
people on both sides of the [gay and lesbian ordination] issue."  She said
she believes the church "can live with this while we seek to address
foundational issues."  She noted that the proposed amendment would not
nullify current General Assembly policy, dating to 1978, that forbids the
ordination of "self-affirming practicing homosexuals."

    The Rev. John Lohr of Palisades Presbytery agreed.  "This proposed
amendment is an interim step -- it may not be `common ground' but at least
its a demilitarized zone that may lead to holy ground."

    Others disagreed.  The Rev. Dale Depue argued that "the church has
spoken [by passing Amendment B] and we have to set aside our personal
preferences for the sake of unity and order."  He said passing Kraus'
proposed amendment was tantamount to "laughing at those in the majority of
the Presbyterian Church who sincerely believe [Amendment B] is God's will."

    Noting that the "popular vote" on Amendment B was very close (it
garnered 50.6 percent of the total votes counted in the presbyteries), the
Rev. Daniel Blackford of Southern New England Presbytery said, "We need to
responsibly look at this again, to keep what is good and valuable, but to
reform it so it is not so divisive."

    The Rev. Bill Williamson of Middle Tennessee Presbytery agreed.  "I
came to Syracuse thinking, `let it lie,' but I have found so many people in
pain here that I have concluded that letting it lie is a luxury I can't
afford."

    Countered the Rev. Allison Vanderlinden of Beaver-Butler Presbytery:
"Let's live with [Amendment B] awhile.  It was carefully worded and
exhaustively considered by the presbyteries."

    Debate on the proposed amendment is expected to reach the Assembly
floor sometime Friday, according to Office of the General Assembly
officials.

    The full text of the proposed amendment:
"Those who are called to office in the church are to lead a life in
obedience to Jesus Christ, under the authority of Scripture and instructed
by the historic confessional standards of the church.  Among these
standards is the requirement to demonstrate fidelity and integrity in
marriage or singleness, and in all relationships of life.  Candidates for
ordained office shall acknowledge their own sinfulness, their need for
repentance, and their reliance on the grace and mercy of God to fulfill the
duties of their office."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>