From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stay in COCU, Assembly Committee Recommends

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 19 Jun 1997 12:27:56

Title Stay in COCU, Assembly Committee Recommends
18-June-1997
GA97072

           Stay in COCU, Assembly Committee Recommends

                    by Jerry Van Marter

SYRACUSE--The Assembly Committee on Ecumenical Relations rejected Overture
97-35 from Plains and Peaks Presbytery Tuesday that calls for immediate
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) withdrawal from the Consultation on Church
Union, or COCU.  The committee also rejected a motion that the denomination
remain in COCU until its next plenary, scheduled for January 1999, and then
withdraw.

    Instead, the committee is proposing that the PCUSA remain in COCU and
that the General Assembly's Special Committee on COCU work within the
organization to try and come up with a plan to implement the consultation's
"covenanting" proposals, which were approved by the 1993 Assembly.  A set
of proposed amendments to implement "covenanting" was soundly defeated in
voting by the presbyteries this year.

    COCU opponents argued in the committee that the rejection of the
amendments means the PCUSA should get out of COCU.  "Do we need COCU and
its documents and structures?" asked overture advocate the Rev. Esther Berg
of Plains and Peaks Presbytery.  "Plains and Peaks thinks not.  Documents
and structures will not produce Christian unity -- what we must do is cross
every boundary.  We are thankful to COCU for bringing us to where we are,
but now the time for COCU has passed."

    The Rev. John Wilkerson of Salem Presbytery disagreed.  "COCU has never
precluded any other expression of Christian unity," he said.  "Let's go
beyond COCU but not desert COCU -- if we desert COCU, we won't go beyond
it."

    Other opponents objected to COCU's cost, estimated at $1.6 million over
the last 20 years.  "That is a lot of money," said Edna Jackson of Grace
Presbytery, "money that we don't have."

    But Kelly Wiant, a Theological Student Advisory Delegate from
Presbyterian School of Christian Education, countered, "Christian unity is
a mandatory mission and the money spent is a sign of the value we place on
unity."

    Scot McGuire, a Youth Advisory Delegate from Providence Presbytery,
questioned the value of "top down" ecumenical efforts.  "I don't see the
point of doing it up here [the denominational level] if it doesn't make it
down to the local level."

    Eugenia Webb responded with a metaphor from the construction industry.
"When a new building is going up, the roof goes on first so the workers
inside will have shelter for their work on the rest of the structure."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>