From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Marian McClure Is Chosen to Lead WMD

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 19 Jun 1997 12:28:02

30-May-1997
97228

                Marian McClure Is Chosen to Lead
                  Worldwide Ministries Division

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The Rev. Marian McClure has been unanimously nominated by
the Worldwide Ministries Division (WMD) director search committee to head
the Presbyterian Church's global mission enterprise.

     If elected by the General Assembly Council and confirmed by the
upcoming General Assembly in Syracuse, N.Y., McClure will succeed the Rev.
Clifton Kirkpatrick, who left the Worldwide Ministries Division's top post
last year when he was elected General Assembly stated clerk.

     When McClure's nomination was announced May 30, Kirkpatrick praised
her as "both evangelical and ecumenical.  The leadership of the Worldwide
Ministries Division keeps getting better and better, and I'm delighted."

     McClure, in turn, during an impromptu celebration in the WMD area of
the Presbyterian Center after the announcement of her nomination, credited
Kirkpatrick for "building an extremely talented and committed staff."  She
also expressed appreciation for Gwen Crawley, who has served as interim WMD
director for the past year.

     McClure is currently coordinator for international education and
leadership development in the division.  Prior to that she was a Special
Gifts fund-raiser in the Mission Funding office of the National Ministries
Division.

     McClure is a graduate of the University of the South in Sewanee,
Tennessee.  She holds a Ph.D.  in political science from Harvard University
and a Master of Divinity degree from Louisville Presbyterian Theological
Seminary.  She was a Fulbright Scholar while at Harvard, spending several
months in Haiti.  She has also worked as an antipoverty and women's program
developer for the Ford Foundation in Mexico.

     She is fluent in Spanish and also speaks French and Haitian Creole.
McClure is an affiliate of Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church in Louisville,
where she teaches a high school Sunday school class and sings in the choir.

     She told the WMD staff that one of her top priorities as incoming
director is to "improve the ability of the division to serve
congregations."  She said the division needs to take the initiative with
persons and congregations interested in the global mission of the
Presbyterian Church rather than rely on those outside the division to
initiate contact about the church's mission enterprise around the world.
"We have the means and need to employ them to develop an institutional
memory that will keep track, stay in touch and follow up with people who
have expressed an interest in various and specific ministries of the
Presbyterian Church," she said.

     McClure said she also wants to focus on "nurturing and building the
wealth of relationships and partnerships -- inside and outside this
building, inside and outside this church and all over the world -- that we
have established over the years."

     Most of all, she continued, "We need to always remember and be guided
by the reason for our existence -- as a church and as a division -- to
spread the good news of Jesus Christ wherever we go and whatever we do."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>