From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Estimated 2,000 Presbyterians Tune in to Teleconference

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 19 Jun 1997 12:33:21

6-June-1997
97243

     Estimated 2,000 Presbyterians Tune in to Teleconference

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--From Los Angeles to Charlotte, from Kansas City to
Savannah, from Champaign to San Antonio -- an estimated 2,000 Presbyterians
in at least 18 states tuned in to the first National Presbyterian
Teleconference, June 4.

     The 90-minute satellite television conference, which originated from
the Presbyterian Center here, offered viewers throughout the country the
opportunity to ask questions of six denominational leaders.  During the
hourlong question-and-answer session, 23 Presbyterians posed questions
ranging from the mundane -- "What are going to be the major issues at
General Assembly this year?" -- to the very pointed -- "Why is the
Presbyterian Church prying into my sex life?"

     Panel moderator Ann Gillies, coordinator for Media Services in
Louisville and a veteran television newscaster, hosted the program and set
an informal, friendly tone, cautioning viewers to "not use this to make a
speech on the telephone" and greeting them by name: "Hi, Don, I'm so glad
you called!"

     Panelists included General Assembly stated clerk the Rev. Clifton
Kirkpatrick; General Assembly moderator the Rev. John Buchanan and vice
moderator Gay Mothershed; General Assembly Council chair Youngil Cho and
vice chair Jinny Miller; and GAC interim executive director the Rev.  Frank
Diaz.

     Calls were fielded by PresbyTel telephone consultants, who then fed
them into the studio where the teleconference originated.  They reported
that only two callers were not able to get on the air with their questions
before the telecast concluded.  And at press time, only two of more than 40
"downlink" sites -- the Synod of The Trinity and Cherokee Presbytery -- had
reported that the satellite transmission failed where they were.

     The first question, which came in at about 8:20 Eastern Daylight Time,
was from Steve Williams in Savannah, Ga., who asked Kirkpatrick for advice
on training and equipping elders for service on session.  Kirkpatrick
suggested that in-depth study of the "Book of Order" and "Book of
Confessions" can "introduce elders and all Presbyterians to the greatness
and strength of our tradition."

     Other questions concerned the role of Presbyterian Men in the
denomination, commissioned lay pastors, the church's special offerings,
Presbyterian campus ministries, urban ministry, the proposed new call
system and Christian education resources.

     One caller, Paul Bourassa of Memphis, Tenn., requested Buchanan to say
a prayer.  Buchanan readily agreed and so the teleconference paused midway
as the moderator asked God's guidance "on our terribly conflicted but
amazingly creative church and its congregations, members and governing
bodies."

     Reflecting the current intense debate in the Presbyterian Church over
Amendment B -- the commonly called "fidelity and chastity amendment" --
several callers asked questions related to the ordination issue.  In
response to a question from the Rev. Mark Moon in Kansas City about
"covenants of dissent" that are being circulated around the church,
Kirkpatrick said, "I am deeply pained that congregations, individuals and
even one presbytery [Milwaukee] feels it necessary to distance themselves
from the polity and discipline of the church."  He decried "other tactics
that have been used in the past -- such as withholding funds" and said his
advice to all Presbyterians, "no matter what they disagree with, is to work
hard to change those things with which they disagree."

about how her divided presbytery can hold together, Buchanan raised the
"common ground" theme that he has championed. "Every presbytery should hold
an intentional conversation around those things that unite rather than
those things that divide," he said.  "Everyone should keep talking directly
to each other."

     Elizabeth Delacruz in Champaign, Ill., bluntly asked, "Why is the
Presbyterian Church prying into my sex life?"  After a lengthy pause by all
the panelists, Kirkpatrick responded.  "We aren't," he replied, "but many
believe it's critical to Christian character how we conduct ourselves
sexually."  The stated clerk continued, "I personally believe it's tragic
when we are so absorbed by this one aspect of Christian life that we fail
to consider other aspects -- the gospel is so much broader and richer. ..."

     Sam Austin of Virginia Beach, Va., praised the teleconference format
and asked how the Presbyterian Church is going to continue to be on the
cutting edge of "cyberspace technology."  Diaz answered that he would like
to see all 11,400 Presbyterian congregations linked by computer.  "Why not
use the anticipated budget surpluses for 1998 and 1999 [currently estimated
at $3 million] and match synods and presbyteries dollar for dollar in
purchasing computers for each church?" he proposed.

     And in response to a question about church membership growth posed by
Don Walters of Topeka, Kan., Buchanan said he believes the denomination "is
beginning to bring understanding to the problem of membership losses and
ways to grow."  He noted that 40 new Presbyterian churches were started in
1996 and plans are being discussed to "dramatically increase the number of
new Presbyterian churches in coming years."  Mothershed highlighted renewed
efforts in the church to redevelop existing congregations and Diaz noted
that a major report is due to the 1998 General Assembly on how to increase
the racial/ethnic membership of the Presbyterian Church from its current 2
percent to 10 percent by 2005 and 20 percent by 2010.  Those goals were
adopted by last year's General Assembly.

     Buchanan concluded the teleconference by reminding viewers that
"Presbyterian congregations everywhere are faithfully serving Jesus Christ,
having heard the gospel mandate to go into all the world with God's love.
Presbyterian people have heard and responded to the biblical mandate to
live that love in ministries of justice, advocacy, compassion, service and
healing."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>