From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly Honors Three Seminary Presidents

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 06:33:37

19-June-1997
GA97078

              Assembly Honors Three Seminary Presidents

                          by Jane Hines

SYRACUSE--The Committee on Christian Faith and Life and Theological
Institutions led the General Assembly here June 18 in recognizing three
presidents of theological institutions affiliated with the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.).

    Honored were Dr. James Costen, retiring president of
Interdenominational Theological Seminary in Atlanta, Ga.;  Dr . Wayne
Boulton, who is resigning as president of the Presbyterian School of
Christian Education (PSCE) in Richmond, Va.; and Dr. Robert Shelton,
newly-appointed president of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary in
Austin, Texas.

    Costen, who will retire at the end of this year, said he plans to work
with the Presbyterian Church in Africa as a volunteer with the Partners in
Mission Program. He urged the denomination to continue to support the
denomination's seminaries prayerfully and financially.

    "We must have the continuing support of our seminaries if we are really
going to vindicate the position that theology matters," Costen said.

    Boulton, who served a five-year term as president of PSCE, will resign
in light of the recent federation with its sister school, Union Theological
Seminary in Virginia (UTS). Dr. Louis B. Weeks, UTS president, has been
elected president of the federated institution. Boulton described his
successor as "a man of great integrity and high caliber."

    Shelton, who is the eighth president of Austin Presbyterian Theological
Seminary, has served the school 26 years, the last 14 as dean.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>